Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a really lovely downed Pigeon a few hours ago.

Observation Cage...White Towel...so far...he's made one blotch of 'flat', Water-Color-Paint-like Urates, which are 'OD' Green.

I've seen this three, or four times before over the years...no idea what it is...no survivors previously when this was seen, though medical regimens were tried.

Anyone here ever dealt with this symptom?

Any ideas?

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
It's good to hear from you, Phil. :) What does "OD" stand for? Sorry, I'm slow. :rolleyes: I hope your new bird does well, and that you and all your other critters are well!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I don't know, antifreeze is almost florescent in color but maybe after being filtered through him it would be an olive color. I hope not. That stuff is so very nasty. I hope it's something else.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If he drank antifreeze he would be allready dead. Liver dammage is usually the problem with green urates. Either is PMV or bacterial infection.
I would treat for canker and cocci just to keep things under controll and start supportive care with vitamins and immuno-stimulants.
Can you please post pic of the poop?

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.antizol.com/egpoisono.htm

Probably not Ethylene Glycol...

Bird is calm...good balance...was down against a building around 2:00 this afternoon when I first spotted him...I was on erraands...coming back around 5:30, got him scooped-up...

No vomiting...no hyperventillation or respiratory distress.

Urates suggest serious Liver issues...

Dunno...

Gave a medley of Meds...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
PMV starts differently in different occasions. One symptom is always there though. Thin broken faeces olive green or yellowish green in the pool of liquid.
If you provide good supportive care, neurological symptoms may not appear at all.
It can be something else of course, that is good to eliminate cocci and tricho on time while bird is still strong. In cases of Adeno virus, PMV and Herpes virus stimulating immune system helps a lot.
Antibiotics usually make situation worse in cases of PMV so I’m very cautious when using them. Couple of drops Coloidal silver down the throat is better option until I find out what is wrong.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you plamenh,

No feces yet...only one splotch of the Watercolor-Paint-like 'Olive Drab' Green Urates.

The prior times I have had in Pigeons with these Urates...they died within two or maybe three days tops, with no noticible neurologic symptoms.

Urates are like Watercolor Paint...no syrupy or 'clear' aspect.

I have had many PPMV Pigeons, and, none ever generated Urates like this.

Odd 'green' fecal matter, indeed, yes...I have seen with various illnesses...hormone surges, changes in feed or grit...so...

He's 300 Grams...'feels' only very slightly underweight far as Keel and overall heft...Crop maybe 1/3rd full of Seeds...

He flew well if weakly, in trying to elude me earlier...

It's a sort of pale 'Acid-Green' really...close to 'Pea Soup' color..

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sorry..."OD" Green was not a right description.

The odd pale 'Acid Green' Urates -

Two 'blotches'...(the other peach color spot is part of the Towel's other-side design...)

The lovely, big lumpy Wattles, gentle Pigeon -

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
One cannot be 100% sure, but again, canker, cocci, vitamins and prey for the best.
Is his crop full? Does he eats, drinks?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
is there something going on on his nares?? looks lumpy and weird or is it just the pic.
pox?
I noticed that too, he may be just an old fellow..the cere can get large and lumpy on older pigeons. with out a fecal test it is hard to know. I would treat him for cocci and then give probios for a few days then deworm him and then give more probios.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Sidewalk where he'd been standing when I first saw him as I drove past...when I came back several hours later, he'd not moved, I noticed no poops, but only some thin Urates splotches.

By five hours of observation cage-time following my having got him rounded-up, only the two pale green Urate splotches I'd photographed.

So...I had him drink a little Cocktail of 'Medistatin', and, a little good Single Malt Scotch mixed in, which he did volentarily.

I also tubed in some Metronidazole, and Doxycycline...

All I could deduce, was probable Liver issues, and, a non-passing Crop/Digestive Sysyem...though with no Odor if I held his Beak open...so...not 'Sour' Crop...but, could be contusion-related, could be who-knows...

Poison?

Infection?

Dunno...

This morning, there is one fairly large soft poop...greyish in color...and, about four more pale green Urates splotches...one, on a folded area of Towel, showed a 'stringy' aspect.

I was concerned that his Crop was not passing, since, say, 12 hours or more had gone by, and no poops, and Crop which felt to be about 1/3rd Full of Seeds...no Breath Odor...so, figured 'Medistatin' might be good to do regardless.

He appears more alert and 'present' today...or, less 'dazed'
looking...more responsive to his surrounds.

He has large wrikley Wattles, as some Breeds do...and, possibly is old, also.

I imagine that these distinctly colored and Water color-paint-like Urates derive from some particular condition/illness/poisoning...or combination there-of

Other than m-y-b-e, there is Canker (Urate consistency,
'stringyness' ) and Candida (slow digestive system, 'grey' soft-slumping poop) issues in the mid GI, I have no other empirical clues to guess by.

No idea, if he'd drank 'antifreeze', how that would effect Urate color...so, just in case, I figured a little Scotch would not hurt, regardless.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some breeds, or Genetic inheritance or expression in occasional ferals, the Pigeons have large, lumpy, wrinkled, or large lumpy-wrinkled Wattles.

It is not a disease or parasite or pathology manifestation/symptom.

Google 'English Carriers', for one example.

I got in an un-banded apparent English Carrier one time...amazing Wattles indeed..!

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Appears to a homing pigeon. Now drinking bad water and perhaps not to feed in the wild this will through off the birds balance. And get loose stools. Treat say with sulmet for 5 days. Give brewers yeast acv in water. And the old bird will come around. even no band I say its a homer May have been loft raised Or prisoner bird And now lost. Haveing to deal with the wild.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi re lee,

He's a wide body fellow...a little under weight.

Missing one toe...long since healed.

Yes...Could well be a 'Loft Bird' or Homer who went feral or got lost or got downed from not feeling well.

He's feeling better to-night, was a big 'wiggle-worm' during exam-time.

Urates still the same...no new poops...

I re-visited the spot where I'd found him...only thin Urate stainbs there...no poops.

'Zinc-Chromate', as used to be used in priming Duraluminum/Aircraft...would be close to the color of these Urate splotches.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Does he eats? Is ist possible that there is nothing in the crop? Try hand feeding him thawed corns and peas.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does he eats? Is ist possible that there is nothing in the crop? Try hand feeding him thawed corns and peas.

Hi plamenh,

His Crop was about 1/3rd full of what felt like seeds, yesterday...but, Crop was not passing...digestive system not passing...no odor from mouth/Crop when holding his Beak open...finally, one good size slumpy 'grey' poop this morning...and, now, three more smaller ones since my last writing.

He is not interested in eating yet...which is fine...

The regimen I elected to begin with, yesterday, and, which were still on, is-

Metronidazole...Medistatin...'Divet'...Doxycycline...all-together, in solution, via 'Mr.Tube', in the late afternoon...and...another 'Medistatin' before bed.

Single Malt Scotch and Water for Volentary drinking...round-the-clock...(which he seems to like, and prefers to plain Water)

Image as of an hour ago -

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
He looks alert and calm. Possible as you say there is more than one thing going there. Glad that he started pooping again. Maybe a bit of honey in his water will keep him in strength.
P.S. Are you serving his Single Malt Scotch and Water with ice or without? :D
(never heard os such treatment before)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts