Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently observed 2 pigeons on a rafter outside some stores in a shopping mall. one pigeon seemed to be sitting on the other pigeon's head. The pigeon that was apparently being sat on was making a very strange noise and its wings were moving almost like it was having a seizure. it was clear that they were obviously not mating and the bird on the 'bottom' was not being deprived of air. Has anyone else ever seen this display? Any idea what they were doing?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hah! I recognize this ritual all to well from my mated pair, George and Pete (hen). Definitely part of the courting ritual. My George goes into "cuddlebug" mode, lying on his belly, softly cooing and twitching his wing. Pete will eventually come over and stand over him, his head under her breast. Very cute moments -- sometimes George will peek out from below as if to say "Hey, can we have some privacy???"

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
During courtship, pigeons tend to "rehearse" the different aspects of raising babies, including feeding and setting on young. It's a way for a pigeon to check out if it's mate would be a good parent.

It's quite a sight when the male is larger than the female and only his head fits under her, with him cooing away and her giving you the glare - "Go away! We're busy!". :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts