Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first race for the season here in Australia 120km
im short marker for our club so not much chance till we get some distance under there wings sent 20 birds 19 cocks 1 hen

·
Registered
245 Posts
Cutter,

Let me know how it turns out as I don't know much about how races in Australia are set up. Our first old bird race was on April 12th at about the equivalent of 170km. Thanks for sharing!

Ralph

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well first race for the season here in Australia 120km
im short marker for our club so not much chance till we get some distance under there wings sent 20 birds 19 cocks 1 hen
Good luck mate. Hope spring's eternal...I was on the short end at my other house (88mi for a 100mi race) and humbly I won it.Well my bird won it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Brummie,

Don't be so modest, yes your bird won the race, but if you hadn't put in the work and time, the bird would probably not have won, unless you think it was a fluke!

Ralph

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Win or lose, I hope all your birds come home, and come home fast.

Good Luck,
Tony

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Birds held over today due to strong winds between liberation point and home (above 40km ) They should be liberated tomorrow THANKS for all the good lucks I am not into sprinting I look at the short races as tosses I enjoy races from 500km to 1000km. I have 17 young cocks 2 old cocks and 1 old hen away the young cocks will learn a lot from today.

Most flyers here keep 40 _ 50 old birds to sprint, these birds are cut back ( most are not feed on the day of basketing to make them race harder) they are tossed every day and pushed hard as they will not work around the loft these birds seldom fly past 300km

I am only to glad to answer any questions about racing here in Australia

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the first race is over and here are the stats

Federation
376 flyers sent
7598 birds
No section results as yet these take 2 weeks

Club
13 Flyers sent 270 birds

I finished 4th
Timed bird was my pool pigeon it took all pools ( a Soontjen Cock )
returns 19 from 20 Velocity 1598 554 Distance 132km

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Congrats!

Did you win 4th in the club or 4th in the federation? I like to see some picture of that winning bird.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi RodSD
He was 4th in club and took all pools. The Federation results take two weeks to be to be released as our federation is broken into 6 sections as the federation is nearly 100km N to S x 100km E to W

I will take a picture and post it in a couple of days as I am flying to the oppisit side of Australia to watch my son race in the Australian swimming championships

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi CUTTER, Congratulations good show:cool: I bet you will have a good one in the fedration.Those guys that like the short races don't feed and lay over takes its toll on their birds.When I was still racing birds it was the long races that I enjoyed 300 to 600 miles, it seems like I had better luck with hens at those distants, how about you.GEORGE;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi George I may go ok in my section but not overall in the federation on this route. I do have a better result over the longer distances with the hens althout the cock in the Harrison x Barker lines do like the distance my 700 mile winner is a cock and two of his sons have taken prizes over the distance the Soontjen hen do like the distances races though. This is the cock I timed last week./ it is raining here so and from what I see on the radar so itn looks like another hold over

Attachments

G

·
Hi George I may go ok in my section but not overall in the federation on this route. I do have a better result over the longer distances with the hens althout the cock in the Harrison x Barker lines do like the distance my 700 mile winner is a cock and two of his sons have taken prizes over the distance the Soontjen hen do like the distances races though. This is the cock I timed last week./ it is raining here so and from what I see on the radar so itn looks like another hold over
thats a very sleek looking bird you got there ,sweet!!;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He is typical of the Soontjens

Well race two is done and what a stuff up the weather was filthy and I had no dought the birds would be held and as I work for myself set out to work in the rain only to get a phone call from the wife to say there were 7 pigeons sitting on the board :eek: and where was the clock:mad:? By the time she got it in and the other birds out of the road she had another two there thats pigeon flying at least the return was good 18 from 20. So till next weeks

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Nice looking bird with excellent condition and form.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts