Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently wrote about my pigeons not breeding and not laying eggs. Well about 3 weeks ago, I realize that my #1 white male bird had matched up with a blue bar. While I didnt approve of this matching, it just happened. (I typically like to breed whites with whites.)
I looked today to see about how the eggs might be coming along and to my surprise, there are 5 eggs in the nest. They sit on the eggs non stop, but 5?
Is this too many? Any advice? I knew my white Homer male (that I call booger) was a stud, but man!

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
First--The cocks do not lay eggs. 2 hens will mate and lay 4 eggs. I am having to think about/how 5 eggs. Please let us know when you find the answer. ...

·
Registered
39 Posts
First--The cocks do not lay eggs.
The comment about his White Homer Cock being a Stud I don't believe meant that he thought the Cock laid "5" eggs, I think he meant that his Cock is such a Stud that his sperm was so potent that it impregnated the Hen to her max. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, i wasnt saying my cock laid the eggs silly! I dont believe that another femal has laid any eggs becasue neither the cock or hen will let any other birds get near the nest. (hence the studlyness of the cock). I think I will candle the eggs tomorrow, see which ones are actually fertile and try to foster the rest. that was a thought I had too.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
SMMWEST--Thanks--now we know color has something to do with the number of eggs a hen will lay. Blue-bar--2? Checked --3? Grizzle--4? White--5? Black-6? Red--7?Pied--8 Splash--9? and etc to to Pink--10?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Idoveyou,
wow! I've never heard of this b4. 5?! I thought at first, maybe 2 hens. Let us know how many r fertile.
1981 : Thanks. Never thought about bro/sis pair laying more.Was is regular?...
Peace, YaSin :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, part of my problem has been solved. Looks like one of the birds pushed two eggs out of the nest. I had candled all five and they originally all clear, but didnt know which was the oldest and the newest eggs. So non ethe less, mother nature took its course. I am going to leave the other three in there for now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
well, part of my problem has been solved. Looks like one of the birds pushed two eggs out of the nest. I had candled all five and they originally all clear, but didnt know which was the oldest and the newest eggs. So non ethe less, mother nature took its course. I am going to leave the other three in there for now.
Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thanks for the update.
all clear eggs would mean you have two hens mated up... I have the same thing going on in my loft with two figuritas..I could of sworn one was the cock bird, but they layed four eggs and all are clear after 6 days so... thats what you have. not sure where the fifth came from, possible someone else snuck one in on them or one layed three eggs. if only one is fertile out of what you got left then I would think it came from a third bird of another pair.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had 4 eggs before by a young pair. All hatched but one. It was a brother and sister mating.
Incest love, well, if you were planning to keep the young for squab, that is fine, probably not good to let the offspring of an incest pair breed. I had a Japanese quail chick which was the result of incest, kept falling over every 20 steps.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Is it possible that there are 2 (or more) hens paired with the cock?
Some of mine tried to form trios (or communes) until I got more cocks so everybody had one mate...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts