Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OH NO, WORMS! Treatments in Ireland/EU?

Re-Peeper (about 5 weeks old) just pooped out a worm about 6 in (15 cm) long. Also, there are much smaller ones in his droppings.

What effective de-worming medication(s) can I get from the PET SHOP in Ireland/E.U.?

There are no avian vets in my area.

ALSO NOTE: She's currently on day 3 (of 5) of canker treatment with Spartrix (carnidazole 10mg) - because I can't get Flagyl here without a vet. It has been suggested I wait until after canker treatment to de-worm her.

How long should I wait?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
The much smaller ones, do they look like little grains of rice that head away from the poop?

And is the big one flat?

Cynthia

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The big one was round, about 3mm diameter, and segmented with segment lengths about 4mm.

The small ones were very small and thin, about 7-8 mm long, but they squish up to about 3-4 mm (at which point they do somewhat resemble tiny rice grains). And they are trying to get out and away from the poop.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are my best estimates, by the way.

I was a bit eager to get rid of them.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
That sounds like Tapeworm, not all wormers kill them...Panacur doesn't.

If you PM me your address I can send you some Moxydectin Plus, the "Plus" is the bit that tackles tapeworm, it also kills the other common worms and is safer than Panacur.

Cynthia

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Hi Feefo. Is Moxidectin Plus what you would normally use to worm then? Maybe I should get some?

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Is Moxidectin Plus what you would normally use to worm then? Maybe I should get some?
Febendazole, the active ingredient of Panacur is very toxic, it is OK if you use the liquid form and measure each dose precisely. I don't know if they do it now, but they used to sell Panacur in capsule form with the instructions to give one capsule to each pigeon...but the dose in the 1 capsule was for a racing pigeon of 400 or 500 gms, so it was an overdose for a smaller pigeon and all my rescues have been smaller than that. John and I used to get by this by emptying out a part of the capsule, so the dose they actually got was guesswork.

Then there is the medication of the flock, on a hot day you don't know whether water has evaporated leaving a higher dose than intended. Also, the pigeons will be thirstier than expected and will take a larger proportion of the active ingredients. Moxydectin Plus is produced by Dr Colin Walker's Australian Pigeon Company, so ut is specifically for pigeons whereas the Panacur Small Animal Oral Suspension was produced primarily for "cats, dogs, kittens and Puppies", their metabolism is slower than pigeons. I don't know how this affects them but when you add the fact that Febendazole doesn't kill tapeworm, then I think Moxydectin Plus with its high safety margin is best.

My only reservation is that I am not certain that Moxydectin kills gapeworm and I know that Febendazole does...but gapeworm is very rare in pigeons.

Cynthia

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
There is a postal strike on here, so although I will post them today you might not get them until Monday. By that time the treatment for canker will probably have ended. It will be OK to wait...the effect of tapeworm on a pigeon is to make it more vulnerable to secondary infection because causes loss of villi in the intestine, it reduces the bird's nutrition because it consumes the food the pigeon eats, and the worm's waste products irritate the pigeon's digestive system.

The "little white ones" look like grains of rice when they are dead and dried out...you can tell when a cat has tapeworm as these bits can be found in the fur around the anus. The segments that an animal expels are not dead tapeworms but packets of eggs. The segments are motile when they are expelled and those are the little white escapees that you see...although the "escapees" appear to die, the eggs get into the environment and are eaten by insects, they then hatch into larvae inside the insect, if a pigeon eats an infected insect the life cycle starts again.

Cynthia

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Feefo!

Do the worms have an effect on her activity level? She does a lot of sleeping.

I've also paid closer attention to the expelled worms, the 'little white ones'. They seem to move about by squishing up into little ovoids about 2mm in diameter and 3mm in length (like little rugby balls), then extending out to about 5mm (with max 1mm diameter).

I'm thinking the description does match with tapeworm.

The only strange part about it was that long (15mm) worm she expelled yesterday. It didn't seem too ribbon like, but had rather a more circular cross-section that seemed (on very cursory inspection) uniform throughout its length. Its segments also seemed to connect rather smoothly on the surface from one segment to the next. I'd put about 60% confidence in that observation because, in all honestly, I was a bit disgusted and couldn't get rid of it soon enough (sorry!).

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I don't shudder at dead roundworms because they are dry like little sticks, but I think live worms coming out of my pigeon would turn my stomach.

Cynthia

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Feefo, Thanks for the information on Moxidectin Plus. I'll order some.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Administering Moxydectin Plus

@Feefo:

I received the Moxydectin Plus. Thank you!!! :D

I have read up on administering it, but do you have any suggestions based on your experience?

What is the best way to administer it?
* Drops on the back of the neck?
* Orally?
* In water dish?

Also, what dosage (Re-Peeper is about 5 weeks old now) for the best method?

Also, is there a preferable time of day to administer?​

Also, finally, thank you again whole-heartedly. I'll be sparing a pair of drops for the back of each budgie's head as well; Tweak and Fidget thank you as well! :p

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
That is to be given orally, I enclosed a syringe (I hope). The dose is 0.25mls per 400 gms of bird. So roughly 1 drop for every 100 gms of bird. You have to weigh the bird first. Drop the medicine into the very front of the lower beak.

It was created specifically for pigeons, I would double check before giving it to a budgie, it should be OK but the dose could be different. You can e-mail [email protected]

Tweak and Fidget are beautiful! :)

Cynthia

1 - 13 of 13 Posts