Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

New here because I'm not really a pigeon enthusiast. But I have an idea to have a 'pigeon hunt' around the city and if people find the pigeon I've put a small tag on the ankle of and take a photo, they get a reward.

But I'm wondering if I bought a domesticated pigeon and put it out into the streets downtown, would it survive and frolic in the real outdoors along with all the other pigeons? Or would it be clueless and die? ... which would be cruel.

Sounds strange, I know. But there's some purpose.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Welcome to PT. What is the purpose of this? Your idea for letting a tame pigeon loose will probably end up with the pigeon dying. Also, catching a feral pigeon may disrupt it's taking care of it's young. Neither idea seems worth the risks to the pigeon IMO!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
like finding waldo? there are banded pigeons that are already feral.. find one and take a picture of his band if you can and do it that way. just so as the rules no one is to hurt or capture such pigeon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
almondman - okay thanks for the opinion.
spirit wings - That sounds like a much better idea, thank you. Do the bands have unique character to them such as a number?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Heh, I like this idea. Anyone feeding a banded or other easily identifiable feral (or even a specific uncommon colour feral!) could issue a "Find my pigeon!" challenge for others in or visiting their city by posting a pic or details...

(I'm new here, so if we've got a "who's who" list of well known ferals, I haven't seen it yet.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts