Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favorite pigeon, Biveon: a male, and I were friends for like a year. He runs towards me when i call him but dosent fly to my hand when i have food. Biveon sleeps in a man size cage. Every time he is in the cage he flys to my hand when i have food. Then why doesnt he do it when he is outside.
He pecks me and chases other male pigeons away from me. And whats creepy is that he does the courtmanship danse to me. He already has a mate with chicks. Besides i'm not a bird?! :confused::eek:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Every time he is in the cage he flys to my hand when i have food. Then why doesnt he do it when he is outside. :confused:
Sounds like a cock to me. I have noticed that when inside the loft and outside the loft a pigeon can be 2 diffrent birds. :) In the loft you are the boss. (person with the food) Outside they have the wings, So they "think" they are the boss. (untill you call them in with the food again) :cool:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do i do about Biveon chasing Pover, my other pet pigeon, all over the place. is it possible that they would kill each other in a fight. I think Pover is pretty much scared of Biveon and Biveon chases him all over the place like the are playing follow the leader. Biveon tries to fly to catch up with Pover because he is faster at running. Then they both fly and perch on our fence. After that biveon chases him on the fence. Pover is older than Biveon its just weird wouldn't he be strong enough to protect himself. I dont know what to do Biveon wont let Pover near the feeding or drinking boal. I dont want pover to starve. He always looks unhappy. Oh no, I'm worried about Pover, but i dont want either of them to get hurt. They make me worry so much.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I would provide another bowl of food and water, especially if your worried. Or you can put Biveon away in the cage for awhile and let Pover have some relief. Pigeon fighting isn't a nice site. I for one haven't had any blood when mine get in a fight. Not to say that it couldn't happen it just hasn't happened to me. I have a pigeon "friendly" and he acts just like your pigeon towards me and he has a mate also. So its not uncommon. mindy

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive already tried that. Biveon chases Pover in his nesting box and eats both pover's and his own food. Biveon is so busy chasing pover he doesn't eat himself and i wouldn't want to lock him up when he is hungry.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
today i send off my birds expecting to see three pigeons flying together, but then i saw 7. I was so happy, my birds have made friends. They are welcome to share some food.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Biveon sounds like a bully. I would lock him up for half the day to give the other bird a break. If it didn't stop, after the babies are eating on their own, I would remove biveon to a cage where he can't hear or see the other birds for a week or two. Let the others have peace. Often when you do that, he is now like the new guy on the block, and he acts better, as he has lost his top standing. I don't allow my birds to bully one another like that. It's not fair to the others. If one is doing that, then I remove him for a couple of weeks. Someone told me to do this a couple of years ago, and it worked. It quieted the bully right down. How many birds do you have? How big is the area you keep them in?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds like a cock to me. I have noticed that when inside the loft and outside the loft a pigeon can be 2 diffrent birds. :) In the loft you are the boss. (person with the food) Outside they have the wings, So they "think" they are the boss. (untill you call them in with the food again) :cool:
opposite with me lol my doves tont let me do anything when they're inside the cage

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have 4 pigeons and 1 dove. three of them are adults and two of them are chicks. I used to have 6, but then one of my pigeons just flew away and never came back. I don't know why. It's best to have happy thoughts. Maybe she is free now. I dont care if they fly away as long as they are alive and happy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts