Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. Granted, she's not a pigeon.

I dunno what she is...the obvious conclusion would be a blue jay...but really, that's only because she's, well....blue. Anyone gove me a definite ID on this bird ?

Found her while driving to pet food store...on sidelwalk, clearly in shock. I stopped the car and got out, and a guy came out of the nearest house, saying he had just heard a "thwump" sound.
So, we assumed she hit a window.

Now here's the funny thing. Whenever I go to that store, I NEVER drive down this particular street. I just decided to today, for a change of pace....it is actually a less direct way to get there. 10 seconds after turning onto it....there she is. Makes one wonder.....

So, one wing is drooping. Will be taking her to avian vet come Monday. Cannot take her to Wildcare, our area wildlife facility, because unless the bird has a very simple, clean break....they just put the animal down (this I learned, unfortunately, by several first-hand accounts and finally after forcing a rather contentious conversation with their head vet).

So I started her on medacam and am keeping her warm and caged. May try some feeding later on when she looks less dazed. She is alert and can jump around (and BITE, too)...but the wing looks droopy.

OK, so...what have I here ? Yar, I can search blue bird images from now until eternity...but am gonna be lazy, and am hoping someone can give an ID ;)

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
It's a Scrub Jay. We have lot's of them here.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks...I think the Scrub Jay definitely.

Ugh..insectivores.....I only have seed and such. Any thougts on feeding ? I was gonna do some formula...but maybe a bad idea if the bird has always eaten bugs (?) Just wanna get some food/water into her before Monday morning (vet). Should I try seed-popping ????

I think she's an adolescent, some feathers still seem baby-like.

Also noticed this AM one of her eyes is squinting...seems to have sight in it, but is definietly squinting. She's alert and active, and not at all happy to be here....but the wing is definitely injured.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She does dig peanuts...also, at Charis suggestion tried some wet dog food morsels, and she ate some of those too. Also, peas boiled.

OK, am resting easier knowing she has eaten something at least. Thanks for the suggestions.....;)

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
They like cheese and grapes too. I think I forgot to tell you that.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Should I team that up with a nice, crisp Reisling and some fresh crusty baguette ??????
LOL...only if the Reisling was bottled in California!

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Seriously now...how is the SJ doing?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
BAD news....

Dammit. I had him x-rayed at my avian vet today...prognosis for recovering flight is poor.

Both radius and ulna are broken, in a way which would require a pin to properly heal. But even that could be done with surgery.

The other issue is it is also all dislocated at the elbow from the humerus...a big dislocation, Dr. said over 1/4"...meaning that the fluid sac which protects the joint is probably punctured...meaning, even if they reset the dislocation, there would be no fluid sac on the reset joint....

:(

So, in her opinion, the likelihood of it healing (after surgery to repair all of the maladies) to the ability to fly again is unlikely, thus he wouldn' be releasable. She said it's likely a he, and also is an adult.

We are fortunate to have an avian/reptile/small mammal hospital in the vicinity which isn't all cut-and-dry when it comes to treating.... a lotta places at this point would have just said "we have to put it down", and insisted on it; but they are gonna splint up the wing and let me take him home. Tom'w the radiologist is coming in on rounds and will take a look at the x-ray and see if his interpretation is any different (better).

That is where we left it. I am gonna pick him up now. I don't really know what to do....

help........!?

Thoughts ?

The 2 schools of thought here are the straight-up conventional wildlife school which says: if he cannot be released back into the wild where he came from, he needs to be put down

vs.

his injury is not terminal/mortal....and he has ended up in you care, not someone else's...so, doesn't he deserve an alternative life ? And can't one be provided or located which still provides a quality of life ?

I really don't wanna put him down. I don't think we crossed each others' path for it to end like that.....but I don't know if I am just being selfish....

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Another needy bird has found you! Those jays are smart indeed. You even share the same handle. :p I would say take it a day at a time from here. Maybe try to get some other rehabbers ideas on how to treat it? Possibly starting a new thread or changing the title might get more Other Bird rehabbers lol. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hi Jaye,

I found a baby corvid at Christmas time (Scrub Jays are corvids, but the bird I found was not a Jay), and it was hard to find good, detailed information about caring for this type of bird. I kind of ambled around for a while, talking to local vets and rehabbers, but noone really knew a lot and I was given a lot of poor and conflicting advice (as it turns out)

I eventually found a `corvid' Yahoo group by typing in `yahoo groups, crows' into google. These people know a LOT about jays, crows, and ravens (and plenty of other things). Its likely that you could find someone willing to take in your Jay as a companion for another disabled Jay. These birds ache for companionship, so your little one could prove t be very valuable to someone and their Jay.

If you need more info, let me know. Please don't have it killed- there are a lot of options for it as a flightless bird.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The 2 schools of thought here are the straight-up conventional wildlife school which says: if he cannot be released back into the wild where he came from, he needs to be put down
[/COLOR]
I've done wildlife rescue and rehab since I was a teenager... have never worked with any other rehabber who put an animal down who could potentially live out a full life in the safety of a sanctuary or rehabber's care. If it's simply that he won't fly again but could otherwise be mobile (by foot), then I think he deserves a chance at a long healthy life under someone's care who is able to provide him with a safe and suitable environment. I can't count the "handicapped" critters I've seen go on to live long happy lives.

I think it would be a terrible shame to put him down.

Best of luck to you and the little scrubbie.
I hope you can keep him, or find someone who can.

I think he, being simply flightless, has an excellent chance at adjusting quite well to a "new life". As for feed, pet stores sell wax worms which a nice for jays, also kitten or small bites puppy kibble food are often accepted by jays - as are fruit, bits of meat, nuts, seeds, baby mice (ok gross, I know, but we used to buy frozen "pinkies" to feed them and other omnivorous birds), and eggs.

:)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Another needy bird has found you! Those jays are smart indeed. You even share the same handle. :p I would say take it a day at a time from here. Maybe try to get some other rehabbers ideas on how to treat it? Possibly starting a new thread or changing the title might get more Other Bird rehabbers lol. Keep us posted.
I wish I could help more. Jay's are one of the most intelligent bird's in America.
I wished you lived closer,we have two sanctuarie's in the Chicago area for injured bird's...
By visiting the sanctuarie, I've found out that Jay's are fighter's.They don't give up much, especialy life.
I guess all I'm saying is, you give him the care he need's. And he will be a friend for life

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.