Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have white kings and I love to open my traps and let them fly around the ranch etc. Kings obviously are not the best flyers, but they love it and its great exercise, and I love to watch them. Anyway, I moved to a new ranch about three months ago and I was wondering if its ok to let them out again now. Everything about thier flight, and routine is exactly the same. Also, Ive been taking them out in couples and putting them in a smaller cage out in front of thier flight so they can see thier flight from the outside and the new surroundings. The've settled in nicely and continue to put out eggs like crazy. I feel like its ok, but would love to hear other opinion and ideas. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know, thats what wories me. Im attached to all of them now and would hate to loose one. But Im 50 miles away from my old place and I just cant believe that my big old kings are gonna fly that far!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Try one out of the flight pen and leave all the others in there and see what it does. If they are on eggs, I think they'll feel more obligated to come back in. I don't think they'll get back to your old home. They'd probably get lost first.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats a good idea, thanks. Like I said, I dont think these big ol kings are gonna fly that far. I have heard stories though of peoples newly aquired racing homers flying hundreds of miles back to thier old loft!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I agree with shi on this one.

I believe were originally bred for show... That right there says no homing instinct...no show breed 'really' does.

They are also a big pigeon, and do not have the speed to get away from a hawk, or other predator.

I wouldn't try it....Something might not happen right now or even the first time, but it'd be a big chance.

Elizabeth....on here for the king rescue, would be a good one to ask.

-Hilly

·
Registered
813 Posts
NO! Please no.....:eek:

King pigeons are not breed for flying nor are they breed to home. They are domestic and unable to survive in the wild. If one flys off you would be setting it up for a death trap IMO. :( So many end up in the Humane Society due to lack of this knowledge... Please read Elizabeth's rescue report... http://www.rescuereport.org/2009/06/50-baby-king-pigeons-dumped-at-sf-park.html There were just over 50 of them found in SF!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know, I saved all these birds form elizebeth 2 plus years ago. All they do is fly around the ranch and then come back in through the bob's when I shake the seed. I would never take them far. Id hate to think that they could never be turned out again, they love it so much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another thing Ive been told by other fanciers is that theyre clearly not all king, judging by size and the color of thier ceres and feet etc. I dont remember all the details but I remember being told "grissle" or something like that? I know they are not homers, thats why I dont fly them, away from home that is. I only ever had one hawk incident, and the pij in question flew back to the flight, unharmed, but a little scared!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Another thing Ive been told by other fanciers is that theyre clearly not all king, judging by size and the color of thier ceres and feet etc. I dont remember all the details but I remember being told "grissle" or something like that? I know they are not homers, thats why I dont fly them, away from home that is. I only ever had one hawk incident, and the pij in question flew back to the flight, unharmed, but a little scared!
Hi Kimberly!

So a fellow MickaCoo supporter... YIPPIE! :D

I do have to say... I am still VERY skeptical.. about you releasing them... You know them best ... But In a new place I worry that they will lose their way.... I know a hawk has only struck once but once is enough IMO. If they were homers ... WHOLE different story... but KINGS.. even if they are mixed with something else.. is "iffy"... again I know we all have different opinions... But Whichever you choose... I hope a lesson isn't learned the hard way. :( I wish you the best of everything in your new place. Also... just wondering... I know you mentioned moving to a ranch, is there any ways to construct a Fly pen??? We have several members who have them... It allows the birds the room and freedom to fly in a safe contained environment?

Much Success to you!;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They do have a flight, about 10' by 10' by 8' but I know how much they love fly around the ranch. Im still on the fence about it myself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Happy to say I let them out and they came back as usual. I just made sure they were hungry of course, they love thier seed! lol

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for the update.

King pigeons do not have the skills to outfly predators like homing pigeons, their wings are shorter, their bodies heavier, so please BE CAREFUL!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
keep a look out for those hawks! that's about all I can say..they must really like being able to fly around...all pigeons have some homing instinct and most non homing pigeons don't go far enough to get lost, so fly your birds and keep a close eye on them when they are out...the only fancy I have heard that will just fly off and not come back is the ice pigeon and swallows..don't know that for a fact but, was told that. I have had a frillback get out before and he trapped in with my homers, so I know if any of my non homer types did get out they would want to come back in the loft at some point...it is just the preditors you have to worry about as homers can out fly them and most fancy or birds bred for eating (sorry to say that) like the heavy breeds just can't out maneuver a hawk.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No problem, thats what the king breed was developed for. I hear the're great actually but I respect pigeons way to much to eat them. I already hunt grouse and turkey as is, so there is no need to eat my pigeons!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts