Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If someone in the U.S. has an imported adult racing homer and has it as a prisoner for one or two years, and the bird either intentionally gets let out or accidently gets let loose, will it try to go back to Belgium?

If the bird had raised some babies and had an imported "wife or husband" when it got out, would they both try to go home (if both got out), more likely stay, or even more likely leave and when they never find home, come back? Would they become feral?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
If someone in the U.S. has an imported adult racing homer and has it as a prisoner for one or two years, and the bird either intentionally gets let out or accidently gets let loose, will it try to go back to Belgium?

If the bird had raised some babies and had an imported "wife or husband" when it got out, would they both try to go home (if both got out), more likely stay, or even more likely leave and when they never find home, come back? Would they become feral?

Any thoughts?
#1 They die from starvation

#2 They end up in someone elses loft

#3 They manage to survive with some feral colony, but with a greatly reduced life span

#4 Far I know, there has never been a case of a homing pigeon making it across the Alantic, in order to do so, the bird would have to land on a ship and ride at least part of the way.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea, but I was kind of thinking that an "08" bird from Belgium, obtained in "09" and let go to nest for a couple of years. Might be able to be resettled if done one part of a pair each time.

I am guessing that this would be a bad idea?

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
yea, but I was kind of thinking that an "08" bird from Belgium, obtained in "09" and let go to nest for a couple of years. Might be able to be resettled if done one part of a pair each time.

I am guessing that this would be a bad idea?
Hey...I don't know about you....but I'm not going to try it !! If you want to purchase an Import, pay all the costs associated with importation, only to turn it lose some day....well.....:rolleyes:....you must got money to burn !!:eek:

:p

·
Registered
245 Posts
conditionfreak,

I haven't heard of any birds making it across the Atlantic, I do remember years ago reading about a bird that was sold to Venezuela, got loose, and made it back home to NJ! Talk about a long drive to retrieve a bird!!

Ralph

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.