Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved several older birds 2002, 2003, 2004 etc some of them fertiled either both eggs or just one egg last season. Any suggestions on help increasing chance of fertilty? I already know about pulling the feathers around "the special area" lol.

Thanks for any suggestions

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I just recieved several older birds 2002, 2003, 2004 etc some of them fertiled either both eggs or just one egg last season. Any suggestions on help increasing chance of fertilty? I already know about pulling the feathers around "the special area" lol.

Thanks for any suggestions
You do not PULL the feathers around the vent. You trim them short that way they pretty much stay clear through the breeding season. VITIMAN E I believe helps bring the birds in on fertiling the eggs. And excites them with an energy boost They have little to do ecept breed. A good vit you can add to the wat with high vit E. Even a good reg, poulrty vit. Works well and is easy to get local. Use lights also as extended light brings them in also. 12 to 16 hours a day. Anyway good luck

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you have an aviary where the birds can get fresh air, sunshine and actually fly a little that may help. There are many instances where someone has given birds open loft that have gone seemingly infertile and they have become fertile again. Of course if that is attempted with prisoner birds one runs the risk of them flying away.
I do know of an instance where a man that had invested large sums of money for breeders employed this strategy, and some of the birds stayed and some flew off. His position was that they were of no use to him if they remained infertile, and so those that stayed and regained fertility were a plus.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I wont pull but will trim the feathers, thanks. Any suggestions on a great vitamin E product that you use?
I used to use vit E capsules 200 and 400 unit. BUT went to a good poultry VITIMAN that I could mix in the water made it easyer to give. I would do this on the cock birds about 1 week before pairing Then do that for 2 days skip a day give for 2 days UNTIL the birds layed. I also used red cell. i put it in the water also. Some put it on the feed. BUT water is not as messy. . You will find so called pigeon VIT, are really not any better then poultry vit. And poultry vit. are one much cheaper to get. And can be found local. along with red cell it is a local item. BE sure to give the hens oyster shell tabs 1 each day for five days. IT helps build a calcium reserve up for the hens. I used 500 unit osyster shell tabs bought at wal mart. BUT the good poultry vit has the extra calcium also.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I used to use vit E capsules 200 and 400 unit. BUT went to a good poultry VITIMAN that I could mix in the water made it easyer to give. I would do this on the cock birds about 1 week before pairing Then do that for 2 days skip a day give for 2 days UNTIL the birds layed. I also used red cell. i put it in the water also. Some put it on the feed. BUT water is not as messy. . You will find so called pigeon VIT, are really not any better then poultry vit. And poultry vit. are one much cheaper to get. And can be found local. along with red cell it is a local item. BE sure to give the hens oyster shell tabs 1 each day for five days. IT helps build a calcium reserve up for the hens. I used 500 unit osyster shell tabs bought at wal mart. BUT the good poultry vit has the extra calcium also.
Re Lee, How much red cell per gallon do you recommend??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts