Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across an older hen this year that I could not pass up. She is 8 years old, a bit old for breeding, but her pedigree and conformation are very good. She is a strong hen that does not look her age.

I do not have much experience working with older hens to try and get them to lay and lay fertile. I was hoping to get some input from those more experienced. My next oldest hens are 2004 birds. Would love some advice. I would like to get a few off her for foundation breeders. I also have birds that can foster the eggs.

Randy

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
I've only been at this a few yrs, but Ralph Jonson my mentor says to put an older hen with a young 2 yr old cock. It will give her extra "spice", and him a little more experiance.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I came across an older hen this year that I could not pass up. She is 8 years old, a bit old for breeding, but her pedigree and conformation are very good. She is a strong hen that does not look her age.

I do not have much experience working with older hens to try and get them to lay and lay fertile. I was hoping to get some input from those more experienced. My next oldest hens are 2004 birds. Would love some advice. I would like to get a few off her for foundation breeders. I also have birds that can foster the eggs.

Randy
my breeders that I have started with this year are of 01 and 02 and still have produce two rounds of healthy birds. what I did is worm them four days before pairing. next day after worming the birds I start giving them some Vit E for one week. I give the birds all the food they want to eat every day because if birds have plenty of food supply they will not hesitate to lay egg. due to the fact that on thier mind the babies they will produce won't get hungry when hatch. by the way I pair my 01 hen to a 07 cock that I have purchased online and my 02 hen to a 01 cock that came from my friend/mentor. before I have breed older birds like 10 year old and I have seen birds 12 to 14 years old and still produce healthy babies. so you will still be ok on breeding that 8 year old hen of yours. I would say give her younger cock so to give you better result.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Good health, good food and a good young cock. That should make you and her happy.

Ace

·
Registered
628 Posts
I am breeding from a 98 Hen this coming season. I put her with a 04 cock this last spring and she had all 6 eggs hatch. Good young out of her too. Healthy birds can breed well past 10 years. I also have a 97, 98, and 99 cock bird in the loft that are still fertile but not filling all the eggs.
Ken

L

·
0 Posts
I agree old hens and young cocks is what I have always been told ;) well and vice versa too .

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
I don't separate my pairs. I have ten year old birds that can still produce if I forget to swap the fertile eggs with wooden ones.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I have a '98 homer who easily produced a set of Oops babies earlier this year. I thought he was a female for awhile until his chosen mate (who is an 07) turned out to be the female. He's not big on flying or leaving his nest box, but he does just fine at making babies. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
just make sure the bird gets the appropriate vitamins and minerals. Also there are these pills that you can get from siegels, foys, or any pigeon suplly store that will enhance your chance of fertability. I had a 97 hen that Was told she wouldn't lay and Acquired her for free from a friend. After giving her the pills and good feed for 2 months, I paired her to my Foundationg vanloon which was a 99 cock and she was able to produce 8 eggs for me. I was able to get 2 yrs from her.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Randy, I have gotten Most of my best Racers out of old Champion Hens for Racing & Breeding. I always use good younger Fosters when possible for this. (I think you already figured this out). Not saying that it is any kind of a must, but makes ME feel better, & know for sure they are getting Top Pigeon Milk & feed better etc... Also Older Pigeons always are more fertile breed later in the yr. or at least Warmer times........ Go for it!! Hap

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Good health, good food and a good young cock. That should make you and her happy.

Ace
I 100% agree on this...This what I was told too...Have one younger and one older , in this case I can guarantee that one of them will be staying with the egg...I rather have the hen who is older than the cock, because the hen will stay incubating those eggs than her mate...Sometimes 2 younger pair don't seems hatch the egg/s (for my experience)...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts