Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a pair of pigeons abandon their 10+ day old squabs, when i found them they hadn't been fed and the one was so cold and weak he had trouble holding his head up, i looked for a foster pair and i had a pair of rollers on an infertile egg, i put the chicks under them hoping for the best, well i went out this morning and both are doing well with huge crops full of pigeon milk, they were being fed with whole seeds before the parents decided not to care. just wondering if it's ok for them to revert to a newborn diet, they look great so i'm wondering if anyone else had to do this before

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I've had babies beg for food for like 2 weeks after weaning. I never kept track exactly how old they were but they were completely feathered out under the wing and can get around just fine. I guess the younger ones excited them and they felt the need to steal some food, haha :p I don't see how it could harm them. It'd be a supplement if nothing else. Lots of good stuff in crop milk.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
i had a pair of pigeons abandon their 10+ day old squabs, when i found them they hadn't been fed and the one was so cold and weak he had trouble holding his head up, i looked for a foster pair and i had a pair of rollers on an infertile egg, i put the chicks under them hoping for the best, well i went out this morning and both are doing well with huge crops full of pigeon milk, they were being fed with whole seeds before the parents decided not to care. just wondering if it's ok for them to revert to a newborn diet, they look great so i'm wondering if anyone else had to do this before
no harm at all, they needed that boost it sounds like.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have done it once .......mind you the pair I put the baby under already had a baby themselves although in my case both babies were less than 10 days old ........they accepted it immediately which in the end saved it's life !

I agree with both posts thus far .......I would think the weaker of the babies receiving the crop milk would gain a lot from it .

Good luck with them & best wishes !

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Sometimes at about 7-10 days the parents stop sitting on them. If they get chilled they slow down, can't digest food, and don't respond to the parents. If they are not responding to the parents, the parents don't know they need warmed but instead reject them..........it is a catch 22. sometimes if you warm them up in time the parents will then continue careing for them. I don't know why they don't sit tight on them, at least at night, for just a couple days more until the feathers start to open.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Sometimes at about 7-10 days the parents stop sitting on them. If they get chilled they slow down, can't digest food, and don't respond to the parents. If they are not responding to the parents, the parents don't know they need warmed but instead reject them..........it is a catch 22. sometimes if you warm them up in time the parents will then continue careing for them. I don't know why they don't sit tight on them, at least at night, for just a couple days more until the feathers start to open.
yes! I have had this happen, esp if one breeds early in the year, some pairs are tight sitters some are not the ones who are not are best bred in the warmer months ..works out better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts