Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just ordered some homers from Foy's but they are 90-120 days (3-4 monthe) old.
That said; they (Foys) told me that they could still be settled (loft broke) but my Dad, a longtime flyer, has his doubts.

Anybody?

Thank you in advance for your opinions!

-Chad

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a pair of 04 breeders that I've tried to rehome for 6 months now and up on their first toss with 3 other ybs, they did return to my loft. It was a chance that I took. The guy I got them from was the second owner and never flew them because he was scared of what the previous owner said that they will not rehome. Now, I fly them once a week and knowingly that one day, they may not return. I've people said that if they don't return to the previous owner then they are not that good of a homer. I guess my pair of breeder is not that good of birds, but they'll do for now.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I've just ordered some homers from Foy's but they are 90-120 days (3-4 monthe) old.
That said; they (Foys) told me that they could still be settled (loft broke) but my Dad, a longtime flyer, has his doubts.

Anybody?

-Chad

Well if you have a group that loft flys at your loft already it could help alot. Just let them out together with you settled birds. I think you will probably have some fly off. The amount that will depends on how lucky you are. If nothing scares them and they are presettled in a settling cage you might get lucky. Make sure they are trapping real good from the settling cage when you wistle them in. Just don't push them out, don't force them to fly, make sure they are hungry, and try not to scare them at all.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have only loft flown my birds. I recieved a 08 bird, and one day i decided to let it out with them. And It stayed. So I think it can be done. but I haven't taken them further yet. so Im not 100 percent sure.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Homing pigeon is called this way because it returns to the place he feels his home. These birds are not programmed to stay on one and only one place. Yes they will return to the place they feel their home, but when the food is scarce, place is overcrowded, living conditions are bad or predators move in the area, pigeons will search for new home.
If one provides them with decent place and feeding, they usually stay. Chances are even better once they mate build their nests and bond with the flock.
Time for the birds to get used to new place and settle down and interaction with their owner and bit of training how to get into loft (trap) is of importance too.

·
Registered
604 Posts

Anybody?

-Chad
If the birds have never been out before they should settle in, I would give them at least 4-6 weeks before any flying since they are a little older, then let just a few out at a time until they are all settled in, and you can begin loft flying them, the birds I got were 2-4 months old when I got them and they settled fine.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I would say if they have never been flown or could of seen outside of the loft, your chances are better, but I would listen to your Dad... they have a way of being right...lol..:)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've had a few Canadian birds land here that were quite happy to stay and fly with my team. They must get blown acrossed Lake Ontario cause we get them every year in YB's and OB's... One very nice old hen was tossed 100 plus miles from here in hopes that she would return home. She returned to her favorite perch in my YB loft like she had lived here all along. Finally a few months later she either got hit by a hawk or returned home. I had contacted her owner to see if she made it home but he never returned my e-mail.
Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts