Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was coming home and once again, right in the middle of the street by my garage a little pigeon was sitting. i went and picked it up and brought it home. im 99% sure this bird is going to die... like the other one. its very young and it squeeked wheni picked it up, it feels slightly warm but has no food in it, and its keel is prominant. its in so much bad condition, its eyes are closed and doesnt open them at all anymore. i think it has 1 hour left in it tops.

it has an INJURY to the wing, its red and feathers are missing, i cleaned the injury alittle bit but i dont want to open the wound, not that theres anything i can do anyway in the condition he\she is in.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
I found one (still have him) like that under an underpass a couple of years ago. The elbow of the wing looked like it had a wound but it was really a burst Paratyphoid boil. Please warm the bird, give it some of the same rehydrating solution to drink that you gave the other one and see if we can buy some time. By the way, how hot (the weather) is it there?

Pidgey

·
Registered
63 Posts
I found one (still have him) like that under an underpass a couple of years ago. The elbow of the wing looked like it had a wound but it was really a burst Paratyphoid boil. Please warm the bird, give it some of the same rehydrating solution to drink that you gave the other one and see if we can buy some time. By the way, how hot (the weather) is it there?

Pidgey
Hi. I just checked on the internet and the weather in ceres is around 82 f.
Its slightly windy too.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
It's one of those deals of trying to be careful of the warming portion. Sometimes, it's hot enough that the bird doesn't really need much warming. Sometimes, though, they're sick enough that they actually need some deep-penetrating heat like you get with a heat lamp, too. The only warning there is that if a bird is badly dehydrated, that can just finish them off quicker. Heat's bad for birds with suspected head trauma, too.

Anyhow, it's not uncommon to see little fellows like this that got sick in the nest with Paratyphoid and then their parents stopped feeding them. They get dehydrated and malnourished and finally fall, get kicked out of, convulse out of or even fly to the best of their ability out from their nest in desperation for food and water.

Of course, the picture isn't clear enough to say for sure if it's an injury or a burst Paratyphoid boil. It's in the most classic spot for the latter, though.

Pidgey

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Do you see those funny little bluegreen splotches to the immediate right of the wound (injury, boil, whatever)? If that's some poop material that dried, then it'd be a fair bet that this little guy has some severe problems in the liver, as well, for which only the right antibiotics could save him if he's got enough time left and the cards are played just right.

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
It'd be kind of an odd spot for poop to be but that color is very close to that weird color that the dried urates can turn in really bad Paratyphoid cases. At least, on this monitor it is. I have noticed when looking at the same picture on different monitors that they can look remarkably different.

Pidgey

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hows it doing clint? oh and ya that looks like some grass.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so far its alive...

so far its alive, i hate to see it suffer.

i had to do something to give it some sort of food in its body, atleast some nutrients...

so i mixed weat bread in water very throughouly so its a "liquid" bread. i sucked some up with a dropper and gave it about 4 ML of the solution. Despite its weak state it still ate it , and i put some water afterwards to flush it all in so there isnt any left in its throat linings

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The piji just died 10 minutes ago. about 20 minutes ago i noticed it moving alittle bit , so i knew it was dying so i held it in my hand for 20 minutes to help it keep its place and with the last 5 minutes of it it was kinda opening its mouth for air so i was helping it with " pigeon cpr" and it revived it for a few seconds but then went back. But it passed away very peacefully, i didnt even noticed it until i saw it was opening its mouth anymore. Thanks guys for all your help, i wish i could find these birds earlier.. when medication and stuff have a chance.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
I am very sorry to hear your pigeon died, Clint!!

I know you did all you could!

From what you described, he was in a really bad way. I'm glad you were there for him...

Love, Hugs and Conforting Thoughts

Shi & Squeaks

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am very sorry to hear your pigeon died, Clint!!

I know you did all you could!

From what you described, he was in a really bad way. I'm glad you were there for him...

Love, Hugs and Conforting Thoughts

Shi & Squeaks
You wouldnt imagine, when i picked him up i thought he had somewhat of a chance because it tried to walk away alitle (while stumbling) and when i grabed it to pick it up it squeeked, so when i brought it home though it was in that state for like 3 minutes then, i thought it died right then and there, it was not moving at all, eyes closed, i couldnt feel it breathing, i couldnt see it moving as it was breathing, and i couldnt even feel a pulse. i swear i thought it was a dead bird. then it moved alitle bit and i saw it was still alive. I assumed it was dehydrated because it was a young bird and it was out in the sun, but it was still somewhat warm so i knew i could give it some liquid. I went and put some propel fitness water( its like gatorade) and diluted it with water and i added a pinch of sugar and salt and i mixed it and after it was more active i opened the pijis mouth and put gave it the liquid and it was rehydrated again and was standing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts