Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pigeon I rescued at the end of May last year, she's stayed. I can't get her beak back in shape and it was clear that she too knew that she'd have some trouble feeding herself outside. She's very sweet.

Here is the reason for the OMG. She's just... laid an EGG!

LOL! Next time, I'll recognize the signs, for sure. I was not sure if she was unwell as in "ill" or about to lay an egg. She was definitely acting nesty.

I am not sure if the first egg may have cracked (slimy droppings before she produced this egg, but maybe that goes with egg-laying; am on another learning curve here, lol) or that there is still another coming. The way she looks, well-rounded, I have a feeling there is another one coming.

I plan to leave the egg(s) around for 18 days and then remove them. Seems to be best.

How long do these eggs grow inside? I mean, when does a pigeon know she's "pregnant"?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Make sure she gets enough liquid calcium with added Vit D3. There will be lots of eggs in the future and this will prevent her getting eggbound.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tip! I'll make sure she gets her regular ProVit; it contains D3 but I do lapse a little at times. I sprinkle it on top of her grit then mix it, and sprinkle some food on it too, so that when she digs around in it, she's bound to get what she needs, while she also has her regular food dishes. (Birds are smart and know what they need. She seems to be eating more grit too at the moment.) I also have avian lighting.

She's ended up laying the egg in her grit dish. She had been acting nesty but when she suddenly changed her behaviour and droppings dramatically and also stopped eating, I wasn't sure whether she was about to lay an egg or not well. She didn't seem to be unwell, though. (To make sure she got enough energy, I added emergency nutrition to her water dish.) The egg came within about 24 hours so that is good. She was very vocal for a while and acting a bit "clingy", too. Now she is pretty content, muttering and even doing the occasional tail shake, but I am pretty sure another egg is due. We'll see.

Next time, I'll recognise the signs (such as jumping up onto things a little bit more cautiously but jumping down normally and making digging motions with her feet in all sorts of places, not to mention the changes in her droppings).

She came to me nearly a year ago with almost all her feathers gone (around 50%, for sure; all her flight feathers were in tact, though). Had roundworm, and an overgrown beak. I've always wondered about any internal damage that the worms might have done, so that she is laying eggs is probably very good news.

Now you're fully up to date.

Enjoy your day!

PS
The pic in the avatar, that's my first rehab pigeon. That one was merely dehydrated, likely had accidentally gotten locked into a closed-off alleyway. Everything else looked fine. Released after 9 days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts