Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, that answers the boy/girl question once and for all -- Piper's a girl!

Last night she (I have to remember to say 'she' now) was agitated. I had closed the cage door while I cleaned the landing board and changed the mewspapers on the floor but she wanted out immediately. I put my fingers through the bars to pet her, saying 'just a second, let me just get the landing board and close the door'. She climbed on to my fingers, hanging on tight. I had a job to convince her to let go and stand on the platform instead. So I got the landing board, came back in, fitted it, opened the cage... and Piper wouldn't come out. She was squatting on the bars at the bottom of the cage, took a deep breath, and out popped an egg, right in front of my eyes!
I got her a makeshift nest bowl, lined it with thin strips of cardboard, put the egg in it, and the lot in the nest box. Soon after Piper came out for a snack and proud daddy Poppet went to rearrange the nesting material.
At the moment there's still only one egg, and Piper's in the nest. Poppet is standing on the landing board, guarding them.

Unfortunately, there's no way I can let the egg(s) hatch, partly because of the cats, and partly because there's no room, so I'm going to replace them when she lays the second egg. It's a shame, but it's the responsible thing to do.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Congratulations !!!:D

I had two Easter eggs yesterday from two different pairs, just waiting for the second ones to pop out, could be a real Easter day tomorrow if they both appear then.
Like you will have to swap them, but sweet all the same.

Janet

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
I hear you, Teresa!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO PIPER and POPPET!!

Yep, next egg (if there is one) should be within about 48 hours...at least that's what Gimie does! She only laid ONE egg the first time!!

WISHING ALL THE BEST WITH LOVE, HUGS and SCRTICHES!!

Shi, Squeaks, Dom, Gimie, Woe :)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hi Teresa.............Congratulations on your first egg. I had the same thing happen with my Jack........who is now Jackie a month ago. They never cease to amaze and surprise you. Jackie only laid ONE egg the first time as well.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Second egg came on Easter Sunday -- remaikable timing! I got awfully excited about it all as they were my (in a manner of speaking...) first eggs ever!
I replaced them, but the parents didn't sit on them anyway. Perhaps they found the room too busy and without enough privacy.
So yesterday I removed eggs, nest and all, assembled a new two-tier nesting box in the cage, and sheltered that entire corner with fleecy curtains. Lined. I spent the entire weekend on this, and teaching a squeaker rescue to peck for food.
And this is the only site on Earth where I can confess this without being told to get a life! I love you guys!!! :D

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Second egg came on Easter Sunday -- remaikable timing! I got awfully excited about it all as they were my (in a manner of speaking...) first eggs ever!
I replaced them, but the parents didn't sit on them anyway. Perhaps they found the room too busy and without enough privacy.
So yesterday I removed eggs, nest and all, assembled a new two-tier nesting box in the cage, and sheltered that entire corner with fleecy curtains. Lined. I spent the entire weekend on this, and teaching a squeaker rescue to peck for food.
And this is the only site on Earth where I can confess this without being told to get a life! I love you guys!!! :D
Well, I don't know Teresa...the places pigeons build their nest can, sometimes, leave something to be desired(!)...privacy or no privacy.

That was nice of you though...

Maybe, because this is their first set, they are not into the whole sitting bit yet?

Gimie and Woe don't seem to have fertile eggs, but I let them have them anyway...until the next round...AND, because their nest is rectangular, there are times when both eggs are in front of their chest, rather than under them!

I suspect that the position of Gimie's bad leg under her is the reason the eggs aren't fertile.

Best of everything and keep us updated!

Love and Hugs
Shi :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
was piper the little pigeon who was poorly?
Piper has been, until recently, the only permanently resident pigeon in the house. She was found over a year ago at the local park. She had lots wrong with her, including a badly injured wing. It was a miracle she survived. She can't fly enough to be released, so she's a pet now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts