Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feral Pigeons have been making their nest under my rooftop AC. They have been successfully raised 2 broods in the same nest. On their 3rd brood, everything went well until the babies are about 9 days old. I noticed one of the squab has died. I immediately removed the death one because i don't want it to affect the living one. I am so sad that it die. I don't know what happen to it. I went to this forum and read some advise and someone said that it might be too cold. I noticed the baby shaking alot. and mom does not sit with him. So I cut my old sock and line the nest. Here is the pictures. Please tell me if I did anything wrong with this?

Attachments

·
Banned
569 Posts
It looks ok but pigeons don't like change so it may distract the parent birds from coming back. But if they are good parent birds the need to feed him will be strong so they may just be ok with it, hard to tell. Personally I would not mess with them. The other nest mate may of been a smaller bird not able to thrive and therefore not fed as much.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Pigeons really do make the most awful nests don't they? Keep an eye on this little fellow in case the parents decide to abandon it and also please keep us updated on how he gets on - I bet he'll be fine and from raising mine I know how much they like a sock, I used to put a sock in their box, more often than not would find them snuggled on it and off of the nesting material and they don't poo on what they sleep on either.
Fingers crossed all goes well and thanks for looking out for these lovely birds.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks ok but pigeons don't like change so it may distract the parent birds from coming back. But if they are good parent birds the need to feed him will be strong so they may just be ok with it, hard to tell. Personally I would not mess with them. The other nest mate may of been a smaller bird not able to thrive and therefore not fed as much.
I hope the parents won't abandon this poor baby bird.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pigeons really do make the most awful nests don't they? Keep an eye on this little fellow in case the parents decide to abandon it and also please keep us updated on how he gets on - I bet he'll be fine and from raising mine I know how much they like a sock, I used to put a sock in their box, more often than not would find them snuggled on it and off of the nesting material and they don't poo on what they sleep on either.
Fingers crossed all goes well and thanks for looking out for these lovely birds.
I feel like the bird is very weak. I don't know if he is going to make it. I will up date you on this.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If the baby does end up abandoned there is a group on Facebook that may be able to take it and raise it, I could also do it but I'm in Essex and don't know where you are. The group is Pigeon Protection and Rescue UK, there's bound to be someone near you who will take it for rehab.

ETA: sorry I didn't see that John had already put the link up for the group.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today, I setup a camera to see if the parents come back because I really don't see the parents. But I saw yellow dropping on the sock so I am guessing the parents did come back to feed the baby. The yellow dropping is milk crop that was spilled over. Am I right?

·
Banned
569 Posts
The crop needs to be full, so that is what you would look for. A crop is a sac at the front of the lower neck/breast area, it can look like a puffy chest when they are laying down. It needs to be full.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I check on my camera and found that the parents did come back and check on baby bird. However, I don't see the baby response as it suppose to be like a hungry bird. I guess it is really sick and going to die probably :(

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Why do you think they have abandoned him? You said they have raised 2 other broods and they didn't abandon them. They are more than likely coming to feed him, which is what they often do at this age, as they have possibly started another nest somewhere. Just try to keep watch and see if you do see them come back to feed, as if they are, then the baby is better raised with them than by humans. Is it possible that you missed the baby reacting to being fed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why do you think they have abandoned him? You said they have raised 2 other broods and they didn't abandon them. They are more than likely coming to feed him, which is what they often do at this age, as they have possibly started another nest somewhere. Just try to keep watch and see if you do see them come back to feed, as if they are, then the baby is better raised with them than by humans. Is it possible that you missed the baby reacting to being fed?
I don't think they abandoned him because other members in this forum were worried they might abandon him due to the fact that I use my sock to line the bottom of the nest (mess around the nest). Therefore, I set up camera to see if parents come back and they did. I know from watching previous nest. Every time parents come back to feed, the baby is very excited but not in this case. That is why I think the baby is very sick.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The sock isn't going to bother them much.

·
Banned
569 Posts
I don't think they abandoned him because other members in this forum were worried they might abandon him due to the fact that I use my sock to line the bottom of the nest (mess around the nest). Therefore, I set up camera to see if parents come back and they did. I know from watching previous nest. Every time parents come back to feed, the baby is very excited but not in this case. That is why I think the baby is very sick.
You could be right, or the camera is skipping the actual feeding and the squab is full and content when the picture is taken.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I doubt it was the sock. Not very likely, as people have made bigger changes than that to pigeons nesting on balconies and such. If the other baby died, maybe they were sick or something. If you still have the bird, can you look way down his throat with a flashlight and see if there is anything down there that looks kind of cheesy or anything?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I doubt it was the sick. Not very likely, as people have made bigger changes than that to pigeons nesting on balconies and such. If the other baby died, maybe they were sick or something. If you still have the bird, can you look way down his throat with a flashlight and see if there is anything down there that looks kind of cheesy or anything?
It's too late now. He is death. I am a little scare of hurting it when handling it let alone prying his beak out to look for something in his throat. But just curious, If he does have something cheesy in his throat, what we can do? I am asking this because I know what to response next time I see something happen again. I am using this incident as a learning experience.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts