Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My pigeon NuNu just recently laid an egg. This evening I found the egg abandoned outside of her nest and part of the shell of a second egg (probably about 70% or so of the shell) on top of one of her and her mate’s perches. NuNu has been laying eggs for several years now and it isn’t that unusual for her to have one of them outside of the nest. We aren’t trying to hatch the eggs – I practice birth control by replacing them with plastic eggs each time. I just want to make sure that NuNu is OK and that nothing is wrong. For instance there isn’t any chance that part of the broken egg could still be inside her is there? There wasn’t any blood or anything around the broken egg so I didn’t think so, but I thought I should check with everyone here to make sure and ask about what might be going on. I’m hoping that NuNu and her mate just decided not to incubate this clutch and cannibalized one of the eggs. I’ve placed two plastic eggs under NuNu and she seems to be incubating them (if nothing else so as to try to prevent her from laying again so soon as to get calcium depleted).

I’d be grateful for any input anyone might have as to what might be going on – and whether I should be worried at this point.

Thanks so much,
Howard

PS it occurred to me that there might also be a small chance that Mary, another companion pigeon of mine who has been spending some time in NuNu's territory lately. I didn't think that she'd be capable of raiding NuNu's nest and dislodging her egg (and / or possibly attacking the other one), especially with Philly, NuNu's mate around (as he is a pretty big and aggressive boy). But it occurred to me that I should mention this.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Is there any way a mouse or something can get at them?
Do you give them calcium/D3 supplements?

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Our birds occasionally break one jumping down from perches, before i can swap them out.is NuNu otherwise acting ok?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Jay3 and cwebster,

Thanks very much for your responses. NuNu continues to seem to be doing very well and I'm much less concerned.

As to mice I don't think it's possible they got in - my birds live in my house with me, and I was very careful to make sure that it was rodent proof before we moved in. (Also I have cats upstairs above where the birds live, the smell of whom would I hope act as an additional deterrent to rodents. But my main reason to be pretty confident that no rodents is again that the contractors and I made very careful to make sure that there were no places where mice could enter - and the original owner of the house assured me that he'd never had rodents get in).

As to breaking when jumping from perches - I think we've had this happen in the past but I'd be a bit surprised if it happened this time. The broken egg was on top of one of Philly and NuNu's nest boxes (which are small plastic dog / cat carriers), above which was no higher perch. For it to have gotten up there I'd think that NuNu would have had to have laid the egg when she was on the perch. If so, then the only way someone could have broken the egg by jumping would have been by jumping up onto the egg (I should probably mention that NuNu and Philly can't fly; they were found with broken wings that left them flightless). While that does seem possible I'd be a bit surprised by it.

Part of my main concern was the combination of the broken egg in the strange place together with the other egg getting kicked out of the nest. In the past when NuNu has had an egg outside the nest they've left that one alone but gone on to incubate the one remaining in the nest. This whole episode just seemed so strange.

But we have the two plastic eggs in the nest now, and they're taking turns incubating them and seem to be doing just fine, so I'm not too worried at this point. I'll update if anything seems to be amiss.

Thanks again!
Howard

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Gee, that is strange. Unless the egg was wet and stuck to her, and she then jumped up there attached to the egg, and it broke. That can happen. Sounds odd I know, but it can happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts