Pigeon-Talk banner

One Homing Piegon..became 2..now 3

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jmaxpsi 
#1 ·
About a month ago "Henry" landed on our backed decked..He has a yellow band and I went online to see what to do, it said to give the piegon some food and water and it will leave within 24-48 hours. We figured the rain storm knocked him off his route. Well we gave him food and water and after a few days we thought he left, we were wrong..we continue to feed him. Well as time went on, another piegon showed up now with a red band on one leg and a white on another. We found it amusing as we joked that 'Henry' told his friend this was a cool house (LOL). We now named that one Henrietta. Come to see one day a 3rd piegon has showed up 'Geroge' with a white band. They all seem healthy and happy, and we don't mind taking care of them, just don't know what to do for the winter. We laugh as we think we must have a sign on our roof that states piegon's welcome free food. It's crazy that most people will never have a homing piegon land at their house but 3 seems crazy!!! There are times we won't see them for days, but on any given day at least one of them are around.
Any suggestions??

#2 · (Edited)
Are you sure they don't belong to someone in the neighborhood? they might be gettig sidetracted by the food in your backyard, and playing hookey on their racing training. I don't know, I don't race pigeons.

If they live in the area, and you don't want them, just stop feeding them. But if they are lost, then they might be dependent on you for food. I would check around to see if you can locate their home, or catch them and read their bands. Anyway good luck!

#4 ·
I've never seen them in the area before, we live in the country and was actually surpised when I first saw him because the only time I've seen piegons before was in the city. Only the first day did 'Henry' let us get close, but not close enough to read the bands. Now they just wait on the roof for food and then fly down, but to be fair we do have one large dog and five cats that look at them through the windows. I just know the colors..which I'm assuming don't mean much?? If they are racing piegons I would have to say they lost the race!! We do not know much about them but would not like anything to happen to them at the same time. If we need to build a coop we are willing to do so, but at the same time I don't want to upset the owners of these birds. I can try and take pictures and upload them.
Thanks for any input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.