Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my brother and I were having this conversation this morning, and the topic of running a one loft race in the future. To build off that idea, what are some one loft idea suggestions?

Feel free to contribute any idea.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Biggest problem I have observed with start up One Loft races, is the ability to devote the time it requires. Those with a day job will barely have enought time to do it right. Those that work more (overtime, or go to school on the side, etc) just can't do it well. They lose too many birds in training.

That is THE BIGGEST FACTOR, in my opinion. Too many birds lost in training. Who wants to enter a one loft race again, that last time their bird/s were lost in training and never even made it to the actual race? No one.

Before you do it, just make sure that you have the time to do it right.

I entered a one loft race that lost 66% of the birds prior to the first race and then only had a total of 6 birds that ever came home from the actual race. That was the total of birds that are actually countable as ever having returned from the 166 entries in the one loft race.

Word has it that the fellow/s running the one loft race, worked 12 hour days at his day job and just didn't have time to do it right. It was a disaster.

So make sure you have the time to do it right. It is a lot of work.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I agree about the time thing. A lot of people send birds to One Loft races because they themselves do not have the time or energy to race from their home. So I'm sure if that's the case, then they would want to make sure the person the birds are going to, DOES have the time/energy to do it right. Otherwise, that fancier isn't really getting anywhere with sending them off to it.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I were to host one, I would commit full time to it. Of course, I'll have to save up first. This would be achieveable because I'm still in school.

I think the biggest thing is that the payout would be average speed for three races: 150, 250, and 350.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was thinking of handling 500 birds. Yes, first drop race payouts would be included for each race. What size loft would be needed to hold that amount of birds?

1st place Avg. Speed=$10,000
2nd place Avg. Speed=$7,500
3rd place Avg. Speed=$5,000
4th place Avg. Speed=$3,500
5th place Avg. Speed=$2,500
6th place Avg. Speed=$2,000
7th place Avg. Speed=$1,500
8th place Avg. Speed=$1,000
9th place Avg. Speed=$500
10th place Avg. Speed=$400
11th place Avg. Speed=$300
12th place Avg. Speed=$200
13th-50th place Avg. Speed=$100

First drop:

Race 1: $2,000
Race 2: $2,500
Race 3: $3,500

How does this sound?

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
2 square foot per bird---1000 sq ft
I'm thinking it will be difficult to get 500 birds.
Perch fee? Enter Race fee?
It is a lot of One Loft Races offered along with Auction Races by clubs.
We really don't know you..Do you fly/race now? What club? How many birds do you hatch? How many you have left for first club race?
Sorry for the Questions--its just who am I sending my birds and money to?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
sky tx, I was thinking of building a loft 85 feet x 12 feet. There will be 8 sections of 8 feet x 10 feet. The extra 4 feet would be used for the hallway along the back.

The perch fee would be $100, and the activation fee would be another $100.

This is just an idea at this point. Nothing...yet. I'm thinking something like 5-10 years down the road.

Right now I fly with the United RPC and Heartland Federation.

(cc: Jim H., I'm just breeding a few of the MITM grandkids to fly. I still have 215, a magnificent inbred great grandson of MITM!)

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
So my brother and I were having this conversation this morning, and the topic of running a one loft race in the future. To build off that idea, what are some one loft idea suggestions?

Every body and his brother has this idea of running a One Loft Race event. First thing you need is Capital and I would suggest lot's of it.

Building a loft, and coming up with all kinds of ideas as to what the prizes should be, perch fees, etc. are all well and good, but that is the easy part.

The real question should be, why should I, or anyone else, send their birds to your event, when you and your event are an unknown ? Plenty of events around the country, which have a track record. A history of getting the breeders to their events, and a history of large pay outs.

IMHO, you should be prepared to run the event at a loss for several years. Be prepared to invest in your own event, such as prize money and advertising. If you do not get off to a good start....you will crash and burn. A couple of races with declining numbers of breeders and birds and you won't ever get it off the ground.

I would suggest you guarantee the payout of let's say $50,000, regardless of the number of birds entered, reduce the perch fee's to next to nothing, and run ads in the RPD a dozen times a year. And like some other post suggested, this should be your full time job. The most basic thing to make this work I would think, is actually talking with perhaps a hundred different breeders who send birds to these events, and find out what their needs and desires are in regard to One Loft Races. Perhaps if someone actually took the time to find out what the needs really are, then you could design an event around the needs of the breeders, instead of simply building a One Loft event, and then hoping they will come to your event.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the constructive insight Warren. Like I said, all this is still on a piece of napkin paper. Just ideas at this point.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I am not a racer and I have no experience but I do have experience with 1 one loft race and watch the birds come in while we had a nice get together and party that continue from the night before. There were two things that I did not like::One was if my precious bird won they were going to auction it off and I wanted it back...The second thing I did not like was that if any of the birds got sick---they treated but in time---and I would have rather them send the bird back to the owner for them to care for it and I inquired about this and they ask? Who would pay for the shipping?? My main objection was at least give the owner an option for shipping his bird back to him...---just too many lost in action for my taste.....but I have no experience and I am not a racer but I just wanted to share what I didn"t like about it....c.hert

·
Registered
419 Posts
c.hert I to have concerns about losses, I am sure most do that enter. If there is another way to keep the bloodlines of the animal credited for saving the most human lives alive and thriving I would love to hear it, as would everyone that races. I say that in all humblness! The price of freedom is never free and these birds are bred to fly free. With no human interest to improve them they would never be at all, or tomorrow. It is a fine line of moarality at first until all the factors are figured in and then it is not so much. I personally thank you for caring as I am sure many that race do. Jim

·
Registered
419 Posts
Times are tough to start a race, many of the races are down with only time to tell. Good thought though if it is what you want to do. I hear someone sent a man to the moon so don't let what is in your heart be discouraged! If I were to start one I would start off with looking for local funding to help.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
One of our club members had an extra loft he wasn't using and offered to host an 'intra-club' one-loft, if you will. Basically, he said he would host if the club would help out. We all agreed to have low entry fees so the risk was relatively low but we'd still have payouts. I personally like that idea because I have never entered a one loft, it's affordable, and I have a very small loft and this allows me to raise extra birds and get a good gauge of how good my breeders are. So it's starting small, informal, no big promises, but if it works and we learn from it, then maybe we expand and open it up outside of our club/combine. We are planning cookouts around the races, too. So it's becomes a nice club event for everyone as well.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Go and camp out with Ray at the http://www.midwest1loft.com/index.html for a few weeks and get some first hand experience. Only a two hours travel for you.

Good Luck

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Thanks for the constructive insight Warren. Like I said, all this is still on a piece of napkin paper. Just ideas at this point.
Hey, I have fantasized about setting up my own One Loft event, but I figured it would be more work then I really wanted to do, and it would require a six figure committment to do it the way I would want to do it, and would be a full time job. I mean could you imagine the work involved if there was 500 or 600 or more pigeons to care for ? To do it correctly, you would need full time staff and facilities beyond the lofts to accommodate a really World Class operation.

I have seen an example up close of it done poorly, and it is still a disaster unfolding. The kid saw $v$'s, and saw it as a way to earn a full time time income, with part time hours. Everything about the operation, if you would see it up close, is a joke. I think the poor guy is so clueless, that he is unaware of how much of a fool he is making of himself.

I suspect, but time will tell, that there will be a weeding out process. The days of a guy building a loft in his back yard and conducting races with only 100 or 200 pigeons, may soon be a thing of the past. Right now, it appears IMHO, that there are more events then are currently justified with the number of participants. Time will tell....:cool:

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Your right on SmithFamilyLoft because I see this happening in real time experience right now and they think they can pull off a one loft race with a part time job and in reality it is three full time jobs and people just would not believe the equipment that is needed for this or rental of one and hotel reservations and catering and all kinds of things if you want to do a first class race and each important aspect of it should have closure for each end of the affair---You are right on......and I'm not a racer...but you are right on..c.hert

1 - 18 of 18 Posts