Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have never raced in a club or by one loft races. This year I'm sending 4 birds for the first time to a one loft race.

My question is this, one of the pair I'm planning on sending is about six weeks old and have been out in their fly pen for a few days now. the other two birds won't be ready to send for about two weeks, will the older pair have been out in the fly pen looking at their surroundings for to long that I won't be able to send them?

Your thoughts, advice and opinions are always welcomed and I thank you for them.

Walter

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would send the first pair as soon as possible if it were me. You should be good at just a few days in the fly pen but the more used to the surroundings the worse. It helps to work any edge you can when sending birds to one loft races. Jim

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
most flyers send birds to one loft races 28-40 days old.Check when they will accept birds and breed accordly. 6 weeks old is pushing it in my book. But then again maybe you can afford to lose the perch fee or will have another bird to replace one lost plus shipping them a 2nd time.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
You need to send that first pair today if you wait 2 more weeks when they get let out they are going to try and go home. One loft people don't spend a lot of time settling new birds.
Dave

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your answers, this is pretty much what I was thinking, I just needed to hear it from the experts. I have other homers in my loft that have hatched all around the same time so I'm going to send four of them.

Walter

·
Registered
503 Posts
Walter, prior to sending birds to a one loft race do you know the back ground of your birds? Remember your birds will be competing from the best of the best. Also study and ask around about the loft does the loft manager have good reputation. But knowing your birds background and quality will help you to be succesful in a one loft race.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Walter, prior to sending birds to a one loft race do you know the back ground of your birds? Remember your birds will be competing from the best of the best. Also study and ask around about the loft does the loft manager have good reputation. But knowing your birds background and quality will help you to be succesful in a one loft race.
I don't know the background as far as what strain they are. What I do know is all my homers are from two pair that I started with back in the mid to late 90s.

Walter

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Have you ever trained them to prove to your self if they are any good, like soymi69 said you will be going up with the best of the best, with the price of one loft races you really should know what pairs are your best breeders. You should train all your birds to at least 300 mi you should know what pairs breed good racers and what breed great racers.
Dave

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you ever trained them to prove to your self if they are any good, like soymi69 said you will be going up with the best of the best, with the price of one loft races you really should know what pairs are your best breeders. You should train all your birds to at least 300 mi you should know what pairs breed good racers and what breed great racers.
Dave
To be honest no other than loft flying and taking them off and they come home. But I wouldn't be able to tell you which birds are my best flyers.

The one loft race is a $35.00 per bird race (Chrisco's Thanksgiving Day race)Theres 300 birds at 250 miles. I wanted to see how my birds faired against others and I thought this would be the easiest way to tell.

That gives me an idea for another post.

Walter

·
Registered
267 Posts
i say go for it! you will never know till you race them. its like rolling a Dice if your number comes up , then YOU WIN.....GOOD LUCK!!!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yes Chrisco one loft race is good. But I already telling you I know of 3 to 4 of my club members already in the Chrisco Thanksgiving Race, and they have good birds (Surebet, Vanloon, etc). But you will never know until you try, if you win then it just tell you that you do have good quality birds. But do bare in mind that breeding is an art you need to condition your breeders and young birds to be able for them to develop as good racer.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes Chrisco one loft race is good. But I already telling you I know of 3 to 4 of my club members already in the Chrisco Thanksgiving Race, and they have good birds (Surebet, Vanloon, etc). But you will never know until you try, if you win then it just tell you that you do have good quality birds. But do bare in mind that breeding is an art you need to condition your breeders and young birds to be able for them to develop as good racer.
I knew when I saw the list there was some very good competition, I wouldn't want it any other way. Like you said if my birds do anything then I will know.

It would be very helpful if race day results were posted with YPM times then I could compare with others top birds. That is of course my birds don't finish in the first four spots. LOL

Thanks
Walter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts