Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first spring breeding season and the birds have me confused, already. I have a blue check cock that naturally paired up with an indigo bar hen. I noticed the nest building and consistant driving of the hen. The indigo layed (what I thought was hers) her eggs but when I entered the loft last night, I found 4 eggs and one of my solid white hens sitting on the nest. The indigo was also next to her. So my question is, has anyone had this happen if so is it common?

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
If you have 2 hens--you need 2 cocks. Maybe put 1 pair to each section.
One nest-2 hens-4 eggs== 0 paired up birds.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Just SCRATCH post #4
I can see after racing pigeons for 31 years A 17 year old knows more than a 74 year old.
Sorry I wasted the members time.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Just SCRATCH post #4
I can see after racing pigeons for 31 years A 17 year old knows more than a 74 year old.
Sorry I wasted the members time.
Maybe it has been awhile since you have attempted to have a conversation with someone who is 17. I am taking my nephews out for breakfast this weekend, and I can tell you, it is quite an experience. I am not near 74, but I know it takes a little patience when you are the expert. However, on quite a number of topics, we are the ones who are way "out of it", and they need to have a bit of patience with us.

I don't think the poster in question was questioning your knowledge or experince....with the Internet, there are diadvantages in communication. You can't see the face, you can't detect the tone. I really just think, he was honestly asking a sincere question, as in, are there other possibilities ?

I really think the question is legitimate. I have a couple of "spare" hens I have been moving around, because they can cause family problems. A particular cock, has a hen on eggs, but was also two timing his "wife" and had a girlfriend on the side. I found them sitting up on another nest bowl that was placed into some box perches for some reason I can't remember. Had I left things go, there may have been two sets of eggs to this one cock. Perhaps a month ago, with another "spare" hen, he had tried the same thing. At some point, his current mate will be removed, and one of these "spare" hens will be reintroduced. This way I can get more rounds, without turning the hens into chickens as I only really want my hens to produce 3 rounds.
You were correct, in that one of those hens has to be removed to another section.

I might suggest, that we were both 17 once, and I will admit, that I did think I knew more then my parents, and my teachers, and most adults. But, generally, the older pigeon guys, I gave them more relative respect or credit, then I gave the other important figures in my life. My point being, is try not and fit the stereotype of a grumpy old man ! :eek: He asked you a question most likely because he respects your experience. Someday when you are dead and gone, that kid might still be saying nice things about you, and in the mean time you might make a new young friend who needs a little guidance and help ! ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Warren.

Very well said, it is difficult sometimes to put in words what's in your thougts.

Walter

·
Registered
992 Posts
It IS indeed a question, because I saw it on another member's thread that his cock was mating with two hens or two cocks with one hen - I don't quite remember. There was a whole thread on threesomes. So, since you were so sure, I asked if it was possible. Maybe since they were on the same nest it was for sure a hen-hen couple, but, from what I had seen, a threesome was not impossible.

PS. I still dislike your attitude, sorry. You are not a pigeon god just because you are 74. There are people who are 90 years old and haven't learned anything, and there are little 10-year-old geniuses going around. So physical age is not a parameter. And this may sound as bragging, but I do have a pretty high IQ and quite a good amount of knowledge (not mostly on pigeons though), and I sincerely don't like to be treated as a stupid ignorant kid, while I was just asking a question because - well, YES, I IGNORE the answer. Since it's an experience question I can't just learn it if I don't have a loft or whatever. And, oh god of the endless knowledge, I admit that I ignore lots of things. So sorry if I offended you by asking YOU if there wasn't any kind of chance you had a cock paired up with two females.
Gosh, you have some serious issues. I bet that if in the "Age" part over the post it said "95", you'd have answered very differently even if I was saying something pretty stupid.

·
Registered
992 Posts
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f14/pigeon-threesome-41946.html

This is the thread I was talking about. Two cocks, one hen. And in the answers there are also cases of two hens and one cock. That's the reason I was asking if it was possible or what. I was especially asking you, because I thought that maybe you had seen something that I didn't notice that was different in these cases.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Thanks Warren
I am not an EXPERT--I learned by trial and error.--Lots of errors--I did learn --"don't try this again".
I'm proud to say--Post #6 has let members know that several people are reading the posts on this site & staying active.
Yes--1-2 friends said or done a few things I did not approve of. They died in their mid 90's And I have notes to WAIT until I am 94 --then "judge" them. If I live to that age I might do & say the same things they did.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Thanks Warren
I'm proud to say--Post #6 has let members know that several people are reading the posts on this site & staying active.
Yes--1-2 friends said or done a few things I did not approve of. They died in their mid 90's And I have notes to WAIT until I am 94 --then "judge" them. If I live to that age I might do & say the same things they did.
:)

Funny thing....once in awhile the little whipper snappers do come up with a good quote worth noting from time to time....hopefully we will all stay a bit mellow and stay friends, so that say when....you are 94...and I am 75....we can remind the 37 year old...to take it easy on the 17 year old !!....;) But, the good thing is, we will always be older and if we get in any trouble, we can always blame it on our "old" age ! :p

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Maybe yes, maybe not. But for me it does not make sense. Did you wait until you were fifty to judge Hitler?
I guess you didn't take my hint with my PM to you. The above is an example of a totally unacceptable post. First of all, it violates a core principal here at PT regarding politics.

2nd of all, your post does not make any sense. I suggest you reframe from posting any more this evening.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
OK, so coming back please, I share the question that couldn't the cock mated with both the hens which eventually resulted in 4 eggs. One thing we all have to agree is that even if paired up, the cocks won't miss a chance mating with another hen pigeon.

·
Registered
754 Posts
4 eggs

OK, so coming back please, I share the question that couldn't the cock mated with both the hens which eventually resulted in 4 eggs. One thing we all have to agree is that even if paired up, the cocks won't miss a chance mating with another hen pigeon.
Well maybe I should just drop it but I can't. I seperated all my serbian hens and cocks for the winter but a couple of months back I noticed I was wrong with one and he was for sure a cock bird. Once I realized that I knew I wanted to pair some hens with other cocks so I added one more cock bird to the pen. Things got busy and I never finished pairing and right now as I speak I have 5 young birds in the loft with 3 of them in one nest and all is well. I have two other nests with 4 eggs but yesterday in one of the nests an egg was kicked out. Remember now ther are 9 hens and two cock birds thats it and no way for anybody else to get in there unless they peck a whole in the wall. >Kevin

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well maybe I should just drop it but I can't. I seperated all my serbian hens and cocks for the winter but a couple of months back I noticed I was wrong with one and he was for sure a cock bird. Once I realized that I knew I wanted to pair some hens with other cocks so I added one more cock bird to the pen. Things got busy and I never finished pairing and right now as I speak I have 5 young birds in the loft with 3 of them in one nest and all is well. I have two other nests with 4 eggs but yesterday in one of the nests an egg was kicked out. Remember now ther are 9 hens and two cock birds thats it and no way for anybody else to get in there unless they peck a whole in the wall. >Kevin
Are you going to allow them to raise 4 in one nest? I guess I would be concerned about there health. I know some breeders take an egg away, only allowing one per clutch. That gives you a healthier fatter little squeaker.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Observation over time, will provide all of the answers. Did the eggs hatch? Did the babies appear to be from the same two parent birds? Or from different parents? Did the eggs not hatch? Did all three feed the same babies? Did one or all eventually abandone the eggs?

On and on. But time and observation will provide the answers.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
P.S. I had a couple of good ideas when I was 17. I married Margie for one.

But I had about a thousand bad ideas when I was 17.

I'm almost 57 now, and the ratio has only improved slightly. :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts