Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a week since I found a hen on the floor of the loft, not moving. She had/has very watery poo. It was all water and yellow last weekend. I moved her to quarantine and started giving her Dacoxine 4 in 1 tabs. She looked like she was getting better earlier this week cause she would try to get away from me when I would take her out of the cage to medicate. She is drinking allot and eating some safflower seeds. However her condition has not improved over the last two days. She doesn’t look worst but doesn’t look like she is getting better either. There isn’t any Vet around here so I got to do what I can. I don’t know what else to do for her. Looking for help.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
How long has it been since she has laid an egg?
Can you post a picture of the poop?
Are you keeping her in a warm and dry place?
Do you have any medications other than the 4 in 1 tabs, specifically canker treatment?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had her about two months. She has never laid an egg since I have had her but she has been "very" friendly with one of the cock birds. I was expecting her to lay eggs. I though she might be egg bound but all the symptoms I’ve read don’t just fit. Its been 7 days since she first got sick (since I found her on the floor). I will shoot a pic and post it. I have her in the garage and didn’t move her into a heated area cause she looked like she was getting better. No, I only have the 4 n 1 and some global multi mix. I have only had pigeons since Sept. and don’t know what I really need to have on hand yet.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Can she walk?

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Hi Jack1747,

I would say to treat your Hen for 'Canker', and, begin a.s.a.p.

You can check her Throat for any lesions, but there may not be any to be seen.

Tube feed thin nutritious meals if need be, and, begin treating for Trichomona illness ( 'Canker' )...

Make sure she is adequately hydrated also, of course...

Have yoy treated Pigeons for Canker before? Do you have the right meds on hand?

Phil
l v

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jack1747,

I would say to treat your Hen for 'Canker', and, begin a.s.a.p.

You can check her Throat for any lesions, but there may not be any to be seen.

Tube feed thin nutritious meals if need be, and, begin treating for Trichomona illness ( 'Canker' )...

Make sure she is adequately hydrated also, of course...

Have yoy treated Pigeons for Canker before? Do you have the right meds on hand?

Phil
l v
She is drinking a good bit. Her throat looks nice and pink without anything unusual to be seen. I have never treated a pigeon for anything before.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
If Canker, the 'watery yellow' Urates would be typical, and, suggesting also, that there is blockage in her system possibly, whether she has eaten some Seeds or not...so I would hold back the Seeds for now, and tube feed liquid or thin meals which can pass easily, while getting her on meds for probable Canker.

What has there been for actual 'poo'..? Aside from yellowish watery Urates?

Metronidazole, Ronidazole, and other 'zoles' are the usual medicines one uses for Canker, whether or not one finds the 'classic' presentation of yellowy-white cheezy lesions on their Throats, since the illness can be occuring in various other areas regardless.

The 4-in-1 may contain an anti-Canker medicine, so check the contents, and, if it does, use it for a Theraputic regimin, rather than at the prophylactic strength.

I would provide definite positive "warmth" for her at this point, untill she is making normal poops and normal 'White' Urates, and is definitely over it, so, for for or five days or so, anyway, provide warmth...but cage her comfortable for the nest ten days definitely, even if she seems a lot better after only a few days.

Good luck..!

Phil
l v

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and tube feed liquid or thin meals which can pass easily, while getting her on meds for probable Canker.

What has there been for actual 'poo'..? Aside from yellowish watery Urates?

The 4-in-1 may contain an anti-Canker medicine,

I would provide definite positive "warmth" for her at this point,
Tube feed? What?

What you see in the pic is it for poo..

The 4 n 1 says its for canker.. so i thought i was doing right.

Elvira will be inside in about 15 minutes. ;)

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Oh! Your posting the Images occurred as I was making my second reply...

For what it's worth, shooting from the hip, I would say if it was me, I would treat for Canker, AND, for Coccidiosis...

And, I would allow her only the very 'smallest' whole Seeds ( like Finch Seed) while also tube feeding thin nutritious meals for the next few days...

Get those meds and get her on them, as absolutely as soon as possible, too.

Or, see if the "4-in-1" addresses those two issues, and get her on that, right now.

Too, if it were me, just for good measure, I would have her drinking Water, and, formula-mixing Water, be the famous "ACV-Water", and for her, I would mix it to be Four Tablespoons of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, to the Gallon of Water.

And, keep her on a 'white' Towell for her Cage bottom...so you can see the poops and so on, and, the liquids for now of her passing the 'water' will just be absorbed by the towell, and use change out to a fresh towell every morning.

Lastly, and just for good measure also, if it was me, I would probably include her being on Arythromycin or some close kin, for the next eight days.

That's what I would do, if it were me...

But if you can do nothing else, at least review the medicines in the "4-in-1" and see what they are supposed to address, and get her on that immediately...along with the Heating Pad, under the Towell, and even drape the Cage on the top and three sides, to protect her from any moving indoor Air, and to help her be warmer, and at night, drape it snug all round to help keep the 'warm' inside.

Good luck..!

Phil
l v

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Bring her in and keep her warm. Put an old tolw or shirt in the bottom of the cage for her to stand on.
Do you know how to hand feed?

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Tube feed? What?

What you see in the pic is it for poo..

The 4 n 1 says its for canker.. so i thought i was doing right.

Elvira will be inside in about 15 minutes. ;)

Hi Jack,

Tube Feeding...

I am sorry, I forget sometimes that many of us are not familiar with some of these practices, which the ill, injured or infant Pigeons sometimes need us to do.

Oye...

Well, just see how she manages with small whole Seeds only, and since I see there is at least SOME little 'poops', this should be fine then...but make sure she IS eating, and, that you are seeing enough actual 'poops' in 24 hours, to say, fill up a heaping Tablespoon...

I was thinking that there have been no poops for at least a week, so...

Best wishes!

Phil
l v

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Dacoxine has Ronidazole and Furaltadone. I just haven't ever been able to find much out about Furaltadone. One of my worst suspicions, though, about 4-in-1 types of medications is that they're typically "subclinical" in the dosing department (not enough for a truly sick bird).

Pidgey

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/index.html

You can order canker and coccidia meds from the above link.
The best method for treatment, in my opinion, would be pills that you will give individually. One medication for canker and a separate one for coccidia.
It wouldn't be a bad idea to order invermectin for worms and Amoxicillinum which is an antibiotic. It's good to have these things on hand rather than scramble to find them when you really need them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Elvira is now inside a heated area.. I can adjust the environment. What is the optimum Temp for her? I will "next day" what she needs. Just need to know what that is...

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Looking at the poop, I'd go with Baytril and Metronidazole, myself. That is very similar to what's in the Dacoxine tablets but Baytril (Enrofloxacin) is better for Paratyphoid, methinks. Some of that opinion is due to the fact that I've never had Furaltadone to work with... well, maybe all of that opinion.

Anyhow, you can get Baytril here:

http://vitakingproducts.com/storefronta.htm

If you look at that page, there will be a list of different types of products down the left: click on the Antibiotics entry and then scroll down.

The cheapest way is to get the 10% Enrofloxan liquid.

Pidgey

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dacoxine tablets

The directions say 5 to 7 days. Should I continue treatment? I stopped giving it today. Should I continue until I get something better/stronger?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
This is what I would buy from Foy's. The link was provided in post #14.

#4036 Ronidazole {canker treatment]
#546 Albon { coccidia treatment]
# 519 Ivomectin {worms]
#593 Amoxicillin powder [ antibiotic]

You will need a hand feeding formula which can be purchased from a pet store. You need to start feeding her right away. There are several links in the resource section to guide you. Not too much at first.

·
Registered
90 Posts
if she drinks boil some lemon grass and give it to her to drink. it works on my pigeons..i hope she gets better she is a beautiful bird

1 - 20 of 56 Posts