Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is day 3 since both eggs have hatched and I came to find one of the babies dead and stiff in the nest when the parents were not on it. It sadden me truly but I'm assuming the baby didn't get fed because the crop was completely empty... So My guess is that the poor thing starved or was too weak to feed. The other one is still active though, but I hope this one at least makes it.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well I'm so sorry you lost the little one. Hopefully the other will be fine. Just keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Pigeon Parents

Doves and pigeons are usually good parents so it could be that the baby who died just wasn't going to make it anyway.

Well, I'm sure there will be more babies soon. Not having babies usually isn't the problem with doves and pigeons!

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
I was reading that carefresh bedding has an odor to it. Some people that bought it were complaining about the odor and had to remove it because they couldn't stand to be around it. I don't know what carefresh is made from but do keep in mind that bird's lungs are very sensitive and if there is an odor it could be dangerous especially to the babies.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'm so sorry you lost the little one. Hopefully the other will be fine. Just keep an eye on him.
I was expecting something to go wrong :( But it happens and hopefully the parents will raise the 2 successfully next time

I have been and I'm watching the parents feed him :) I think He'll be just fine for now.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was reading that carefresh bedding has an odor to it. Some people that bought it were complaining about the odor and had to remove it because they couldn't stand to be around it. I don't know what carefresh is made from but do keep in mind that bird's lungs are very sensitive and if there is an odor it could be dangerous especially to the babies.
Thank you for that. Honestly when I get around it it has a faint odor but nothing strong at all. If anything it does need to be replaced on a monthly basis to keep it from stinking up the place

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doves and pigeons are usually good parents so it could be that the baby who died just wasn't going to make it anyway.

Well, I'm sure there will be more babies soon. Not having babies usually isn't the problem with doves and pigeons!
I've figured the baby was probably just too weak. It is an awful shame but watching them now, they really are careful parents.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.