Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been caring for a one winged homing pigeon for a month. This is a rescue as I have been out of birds for a while sadly (I miss them so much :()

I was told the pigeon was saved from a stoat that chewed the wing right off?

ALso I have someone that is begging me to take a one winged silver gull not native to north america and was part of a private collection.

Reason is because i have a huge set up with potted ground plants and all sorts of stuff for the pigeon and ramps.

BUT i only have one bird right now i am busy with school and I have 2 special needs dog and cat. But the pigeon is sweet and easy to care for.

Will he be okay like this? he seems to be happy with his one wing and eats and is fine as long as he is protected? (dog protects him)

But the gull i dont know about. I have another big enclosure that has a lil mini pool and water plants with sand around it and more potted plants. Right now the gull is in a small area and they want me to take it. I have looked after the gull before and it was happy and full of life here but im not sure.

Anyone else have handicap birds? I miss having birds I am just so busy. THe pigeon is not much work. Lots of people want to kill these birds but i dont know it just felt so wrong because the birds are still full of life? Was i suppose to allow others to kill them/put them down? Even if the bird is walking and eating health?

I have stopped people from killing the pigeon but if you feel it is better to do so let me know. It just felt so evil to kill something that is still living fine walking eating bathing etc.. With a big place to stay but I don't know just so many wanted the pigeon put down. The bird got stronger and stronger and is very fast on its feet.

It is very protected. Has the queen of all canines watching out for him.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Thnx for saving this bird. I would say u r doing a great job by giving this bird a chance at life,it would have been doomed otherwise. Here on PT many mates have rescued pigeons. Killing is barbaric. If the pigeon is healthy then keep him. He can fill in the space of ur pet pigeons for now. U can use him later when u keep birds,he will be happy with his kind.(IDK,the extent of damage to the wing)
Like u said he is easy to care for then why kill him. Keep him, u r doing an awesome job.
Gull...??? I suppose u won't be keeping them together.
kEEp Up the good work

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
his wing is all gone the weasel just took it right off

the gull lost its wing also but in another manner, this gull was a avairy bird they dont want it anymore.

I can take the gull also, it just eats cat food, I have lots of left over cat and dog food.. I also have a mini pond. I guess the gulls perfer sand for their feet? But some say to put them down which would kill me.

Yes i would not keep them together, I think a gull would be okay (silver gull is less aggressive than herring gulls) if the pigeons could fly. But since the pigeon cant fly it was just too risky to keep it with a gull since the gulls bill is very strong and sharp.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If a bird is suffering for a long time, and prognosis is poor, I am all for euthanasia.

Usually animals are fighters, they are not easily let down by a handicap. When your pigeon has the zest to live, there is no reason to put it down. You have done a great thing in caring for this pigeon. God bless you!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Where are you keeping the pigeon? I hope not where he and the dog can get together?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
pigeons is in a loft no not with the dog, the dog is not interested in my pets, its a dog that is meant for protection was bred for it so just prevents anything from going near the loft if the dog is back there. She just bonds to whatever I like and then considers it hers and will defend them like its her offspring. Pigeon doesnt interact with her or see her. I dont let prey species interact with predators normally unless they grow up together. Like once I had a pigeon new born thrown out of a nest ignored that was raised around cats that accepted him.

how do they survive such brutalization without dying?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the gull also, I tried to find the gull a better place

Here by law did you guys know? are you aware if this country law?

BY LAW if an animal cannot be released into the wild it must be killed no matter how healthy the animal is if the species is a common species. THERE IS NO and or buts. Its the MNR rule.

I am studying for the board exam. ANd NO wildlife rufuge is permitted to keep any wild species no matter what if the species is native. MNR will check them out and they will get in deep trouble.

If you give them a crow you healed and it is too healthy they will kill it. They dont want to do this they have no choice or they will be shut down and no animals get to get saved.

IF the refuge does not want to put the animal down they can send it to a test lab for experimemts. This is where a lot of birds do go. PLESE do no got give a bird you cannot release to wildife centers they do not have the power to save the bird and give it a happy ending. THey are not above the law.

Pigeons and starlings and rats and mice is a grey area. We can pretty much do what we like with them. IF they do end up in a center they are often the ones who go to labs because they are an invasive species. It is sad, but it is part of my course. If anyone has doubts about our country and how they really treat our animals send me a pm OR if allowed i can show you my course work here even.

LAST if you have a aracoon or mink or fox that is too tame to be released. Do you think you will keep it as a pet? NO way. The govt has the right to selll these species to fur farms. They can and they will. This is part of my program. SO once i get my permit I will be telling people that. ANY fur bearing animal with value that cannot be released into the wild goes to labs for science testing like a lab rat OR to a fur farm or will be killed quick depending on how bad off the animal it is.

Isnt our country mnr amazing? My gull is a non native silver gull thank god they dont exist in this part of the world even.

your pigeons your starlings are all safe but wildlife rehab is not the beautiful thing you think it is. I understand where it is comming from. BUT i dont get some of the HORRORS our MNR supports such as fur farms???? lab testing?? If the animal is okay to live have someone capable with a permit take the animal.

There was someone recently fixed a crows wing. PROBLEM the crow fell in love with that person. When they took it to wildlife rehab in ontario i wont say which one. But they snapped its neck. It was too friendly.

Anther one was a falcon, they killed it andn stuffed it and put it in the ottawa museum. The falcon was not able to fly. But had bonded with its caregiver.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I see jay worrying about a pigeon seeing a dog that is willing to defend the bird with its life, yet they ignore the horrors of the huge picture here how nice. Reasons like this I am sorry to say is why things are so bad. People live in a bubble. There was some found pet pigeons recently when i was out of pigeons, i gave them to wildlife I wonder where they ended up? if you think a happy home no way. MORE Like hawk food for rehab birds.

I had no idea of this back then until i istarted to take the program. SPeak with other wildlife rehab people.

SOme wildlife rehabe people are amazing they dont like putting animals down they do love animals and care for them. OTHERS are not that great and dont care at all about what they do.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good wildlife rehabers dont want things this way but they can't stop the law brocky

the good ones wont report you for trying to the right thing thy willl look the other way, they dont see satisfaction in seeing a persons pet crow sent to a lab for testing. They will pretend they never saw it.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Reasons like this I am sorry to say is why things are so bad. People live in a bubbleI see jay worrying about a pigeon seeing a dog that is willing to defend the bird with its life, yet they ignore the horrors of the huge picture here how nice.

I don't live in a bubble, and I sure don't ignore the horrors of the huge picture. You have no idea of what I ignore or don't ignore.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So i guess i am the only person who has ever owned one winged birds on this forum. I thought maybe others did. Was looking for more ways to improve life. But i understand it is hard for others that have not had such poor birds.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
He can do fine with one wing. You could get him a mate for company. That way his life could be as normal as possible. He can get up higher than the floor, like to a nest box with the use of ramps. And a shallow bath is safer for them. Easier to get in and out of.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
So i guess i am the only person who has ever owned one winged birds on this forum. I thought maybe others did. Was looking for more ways to improve life. But i understand it is hard for others that have not had such poor birds.
We got two male one-winged ex-racers, and they do fine. They can kinda hop/flap up onto a low shelf or box, they don't take any bs from other birds, and one of them is paired up. The only thing we have to be aware of for them is that if they do happen to tip over, they have difficulty in getting upright again, which means they are then at risk of being beat up by other pigeons.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
scuba005 said:
the good ones wont report you for trying to the right thing thy willl look the other way, they dont see satisfaction in seeing a persons pet crow sent to a lab for testing. They will pretend they never saw it.
Jay3 said:
I don't live in a bubble, and I sure don't ignore the horrors of the huge picture. You have no idea of what I ignore or don't ignore.
:eek: :confused:
scuba005 said:
So i guess i am the only person who has ever owned one winged birds on this forum.
John_D said:
We got two male one-winged ex-racers, and they do fine. They can kinda hop/flap up onto a low shelf or box, they don't take any bs from other birds, and one of them is paired up.
Applause.

I believe,life of one winged cock is far more tougher than one winged hen.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I believe,life of one winged cock is far more tougher than one winged hen.

Why do you say that?
I have a hen and a cock with one wing, and the cock has no problems, but the hen, until mated, had many more problems.
I really think it depends a lot on the situation and each individual bird, not on the gender.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Neither of our males are able to balance sufficiently well to complete the mating process - guess thats a bit of a problem :)

Hens on the other hand have the problem of dealing with 'amorous' male pigeons, and are less able to evade them.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
In addition to work that both sexes do,Cock has to fight to safeguard his turf,choose and fight for his nesting site,mate by balancing with wings,care for young when they are about to wean and have more feed demands,pick up nesting materials etc. It makes his life more hectic when he has lost his entire wing as scuba's pigeon has. Just my point of view.
If kept alone as pair than they will need all the care separately. That will be added responsibility.

Jay3 said:
I don't live in a bubble, and I sure don't ignore the horrors of the huge picture. You have no idea of what I ignore or don't ignore.
:confused:

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
In answer to your confused face, I was answering to Scuba's comment. Not really all that confusing.

It doesn't have to be difficult at all for the male, if you help a little, and make things easier to get to for handicapped birds. By your answers, I would say that you have not had either a wingless male or female.

In my loft everyone has a box. They don't fight over them. Why would they unless there aren't enough to go around? And he does mate his hen, and they are fertile. You don't need 2 wings to feed young. And both males and females pick up the nesting material. Just depends on which one is on the nest and which one is free when I put out the nesting material.
Life honestly is no more hard for my one winged pigeon then for anyone else in the loft. I have ramps and they are in a box second row up. The bath in the aviary is on a level walk from the loft out into the aviary. The only thing he cannot do is fly up to the higher perches, but he doesn't need to as he has his own. As a matter of fact, he is one little bird with big attitude, and they don't mess with him. He rules the water table and the window out to the aviary. If anything, some are afraid of him. LOL. So it does depend a lot on the situation, and the bird. Things can be made easy for them if you just put in a little effort. Not hard. There is no reason to keep them alone as a pair. They do very well in a flock with just a few adjustments to the loft.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts