Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 rescues, Oscar and Scruffy, who are mates and share a cage. Scruffy lays eggs, my husband Aias switches them out, and all has been well. Until now...Aias has been away almost 3 weeks, and I guess they must've laid an egg right when he left and I didn't realize it was new (they had 1 egg in the cage already, I thought there were 2). So yesterday, I almost had a heart attack when I saw A FUZZY LITTLE NEWBORN in the cage :eek::eek::eek:

The cages are in an isolated, untrafficked area, so I've been going up every few hours to check, and things were going ok. Everytime I went, Scruffy was sitting on the baby, the baby was squeaking and moving around. Well I was out of the house for about 8 hours, came back and mom was on the other egg instead of the baby, and the baby was still breathing, but not moving a whole lot and not squeaking.

I took the other egg out of the cage (which Aias had TOLD me to do yesterday, and I didn't listen), and now am waiting to see if she goes back to the baby.

What to do? I'm not wholly convinced they're feeding the baby. Though I have no real reason to think they aren't (other than the baby's lethargy now)--I mean, I'm not really around to see. I guess I'm just not convinced about their parenting skills. But I REALLY was hoping not to have to get involved--too scary!! And Aias isn't here!! He's getting back Tuesday morning, but I'm worried about the baby making it till then.

We have some OLD formula (like a year, and probably not in an airtight container)...it's been at least a year since we've even dealt with a squeaker.

Uggghhhh!! What should I do?

ok going upstairs to go peek now...

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
OK..puit the egg back under the mom and take the baby out. Warm the baby on a heating pad set on low or by holding it in your hands. When you feel more activity and know it is warmed up, switch baby out with the egg. The baby won't make a lot of noise at this stage but just give it a few days!
If after all this, they abandon the baby we'll just take it from there.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh dear...in my panic, the egg rolled off into a box full of junk, I don't know where it is...I guess I was going to have to search for it anyway, I just didn't want to disturb things up there for now...ok will go look for it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's pretty hot up there, about 85 degrees...you think the baby still might be cold? Or maybe the lethargy is lack of feeding?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok when i went to look for the egg, she was on the baby...well she was on the baby's body, the head was sticking out from under her...
It IS night time...maybe that's why baby less active?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Sounds like she is doing what she is supposed to do. I know it's nerve-wracking but I would just leave them alone and not disturb them unless you think they abandon the baby.
Tomorrow, pick up some fresh Exact. You can put it in the freezer and it will last much longer and you will always have it when you need it. As much as we plan to not have oops babies ...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Sabina, calm down, or you won't make it til Aias gets home. LOL. Most pigeons are good parents. They'll probably do fine. If you aren't sure they are feeding it, check to see if it's crop is full. But don't worry. Think positive thoughts. Try to watch some tomorrow, and see if you can see them feeding the baby. If you do see them feeding, then you'll feel better.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Charis and Jay...I'm going to turn off the lights and go to sleep...gulp. Everytime I go to check (since the baby was born), I swear, I get palpitations. I'm really scared for the morning, hope everything will be ok! But there's not really anything I can do now, I can't feed it now anyway...so hopefully little one makes it! And Aias hurries up and gets here!!!
They must be feeding it if it was squeaking this morning, and was born yesterday morning, right? It wouldn't have made it this long without being fed...right?
Neither Oscar or Scruffy are the brightest bulbs in the bunch (Scruffy especially), so i think that's what makes me worry more...

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Hopefully, their instinct will take over and it sounds like it is. The best thing to do right now is to resist moving them and checking.
Peeking in the room is OK to make sure they are on the baby.:)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I know I said I was going to sleep but...this is the first little hatchling we've had in our 3 years with pigeons (not counting Biko since she wasn't born in the house)...and the first pigeon parents we've had.
Do they feed them at night in the dark? How often do they usually feed the babies?
i HIGHLY doubt i'll see them feeding--the pigeons are Aias', if he's here, I don't touch them. So they don't even know me (have highly resented my presence the last 3 weeks).
Ok will update in am...

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I think they do feed the newly hatched babies ib the night.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, they're not really that energetic for several days--I don't see anything to worry about so far. And at 85 degrees in the house, that little guy ain't going to get cold enough to really worry about. There's a lot of the time when they're that young that they don't move or peep much. You can just compare him to an egg and you should see some quite rapid growth in those first couple of days--in a fairly short period of time (a day or two), they WON'T fit back in the egg anymore.

Pidgey

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Well, they're not really that energetic for several days--I don't see anything to worry about so far.

And at 85 degrees in the house, that little guy ain't going to get cold enough to really worry about.

There's a lot of the time when they're that young that they don't move or peep much. You can just compare him to an egg and you should see some quite rapid growth in those first couple of days--in a fairly short period of time (a day or two), they WON'T fit back in the egg anymore.

Pidgey
Sabina,
If the baby isn't being 'warmed' by Mom or Dad, then 'direct' supplemental heat is necessary. The room temperature alone isn't enough to maintain the baby's body temperature.

This is taken in part from the following link, Providing Heat to Orphaned Birds.
Since baby birds have difficulty regulating their body temperature, wrapping them in a towel or keeping them in a warm room is not enough. They need a heat source.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/providing-heat-to-orphaned-birds-13599.html

Cindy

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well...baby made it through the night. But mom was next to the baby, not on the baby right now. And the baby was trying to snuggle into mom's wing. Mom is all puffed like she's sitting on something, but there's nothing there. I did hear a squeak...and the baby is moving around...so must be ok?
I have to go to work, will be out of the house next 12 hours, so nothing I can really do again at this point.
Hopefully, Scruffy will step up and be a good mom. As for Oscar, he seems to be pretty good-for-nothing, isn't he supposed to be helping too?!
Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was just looking at the pigeon development pictures, and I don't think this baby is growing as fast as it should. And i don't think the crop looks full. I think Scruffy and Oscar might be very bad parents. But on the other hand, maybe I'm just being super anxious...I don't want to take the baby away if they actually are taking care of it.
I guess I'll see what is happening when I get back tonight.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
It's always difficult to know when to step in. They don't fill them up to nearly popping when they're only a day old, though.

Pidgey

1 - 20 of 80 Posts