Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had rescued this young pigeon 1 and half month back. When I caught him, his one eye was shut. He was bald and feathers was chewed up. I took him to vet, got cyndamycin and vitamins. After a week, I again consulted a new vet, as it was looking more of parasites. I got ivermectin + alberzole. He started improving but he always squint often with the same eye. 4 days back, it was raining and he was enjoying looking at the rain from the window from his cage. Next morning, I was horrified, he again had the same one eye shut and shivering and head twitching. Also i had a few plants kept there. I don't know if it was little rain water splash or slight cold climate or may be plant fungus got him. I stay in India, Mumbai. Temperature here is 30+ hot. He improved after giving him doxycycline, but he doesn't like it. First day I thought I aspirated him with 0.1ml (1ml syringe) but then, even after I gave him with food, he did the same chocking act. I'm just scared now to give him meds. His energy is low and he sleeps very deep after giving him meds.

Pls can anyone advise if clamdyial psittacosis has symptoms where cornea get white dots. His eyes looks like there is very thin coating and star on his cornea. Its only slightly watery. Very sensitive to light and he keeps itching his eyes with his feathers and feet. He is able to open his eyes when little dark.

How long does doxycycline take to clear up the eyes.

He did improve with cyndamycin but looks like it reoccurd after one month.

I don't know if its parasite or actually chlamydial infection.

Here are some pics. Sorry, they might not be clear as I'm unable to upload vedio. I will post more tom.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I can't give advice regarding the meds you are using. Was just wondering: did you check for canker inside the beak and back of the throat? All those missing feathers and the choking he is making. Canker will show as yellow cheesy growths.

If you have to give liquid meds, take a small piece of bread and soak with the meds. Put deep inside the beak and over the tongue for him to swallow. He will do open mouth raspy breathing if liquid got aspirated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't give advice regarding the meds you are using. Was just wondering: did you check for canker inside the beak and back of the throat? All those missing feathers and the choking he is making. Canker will show as yellow cheesy growths.

If you have to give liquid meds, take a small piece of bread and soak with the meds. Put deep inside the beak and over the tongue for him to swallow. He will do open mouth raspy breathing if liquid got aspirated.
Hi Marina ,

Thanks. Yes, he doesn't have yellow chessy growth. But I will recheck tomorrow just to be sure.

He actually acted chocked after I gave him doxycycline. Didn't get syrup form so had to use capsule powder in water.

Can he get aspirated with only 0.1ml (1ml syringe). He did swallow after I gave him though.

I was very very scared, he did grasp for breath with his neck all stretched up.

But again he behaved similar today (less drastic) when I mixed doxycycline in his seeds. He ate himself. No force feeding. He ran and drank water and started stretching his neck and then slept like a baby. As if, he is getting intense reaction.

Otherwise, I don't see him open mouth breathing.

His old crusty skin is peeling. I see new growth on his bald head too. But the growth is very very slow. Every morning I get up with a hope for good news. However now his wing feathers are detoriating.

I don't know if his feathers condition is related to his eyes. Its very confusing.

Do you have any idea what is that white spot on his eyes. Is it cornea ulcer. It just came over night. Simultaneously he had fever and tremors. Head twitching. Muscle Spasm. Aft which I started with doxycycline consulting a vet.

I'm trying my best do everything I can, I just can't figure out what is wrong with him.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
The stretching of the neck is worrying me. Does he do a bit of open mouth breathing while the neck is stretched? Is he doing that often? Does he make rotating movements of the crop after eating? I had a dove that did that. I treated him with metro for canker and Nystatin for yeast and he was fine after 10 days. Can you post a photo of his droppings?

Even a small amount of liquid that gets aspirated can cause aspiration pneumonia. But then the breathing will be raspy. You can't give meds mixed in with water and food, you have no control over the amount that he gets in.

I would also stop the doxy, I don't think this will help him. If he has a bit of yeast infection, the doxy will make it worse. Mix some apple cider vinegar in his drinking water. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. Do this for 3 days in a row, thereafter twice a week.

You can also handfeed him cooked carrots for extra Vit A that will help with skin healing. The seizures can be from lack of vitamins and calcium.

Please post the photo of his droppings.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I've just googled "Vit A deficiency in birds" and in one site they mentioned about spots in the eye as one of the symptoms.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've just googled "Vit A deficiency in birds" and in one site they mentioned about spots in the eye as one of the symptoms.
Yes, pics attached

I agree, I think doxy isn't suiting him too

He does the stretching when ever I give him doxycycline. Before he had never done with cyndamycin. I even bought animal doxy, which is sweet oral suspension. Still he understood today and ran to drink water and stretched his neck and didn't touch the seeds after that.

He acts normal otherwise. he was flapping his wings and eating good qty of food until I gave him doxy. Felt as if he went into depression and then dozed off deep.

Now his 1 eyes won't open up after he slept and got up. Feels it stuck together

Can it be allergic reaction. His throat gets irritated with this med it seems.

I can't find any cheesy yellow in his mouth.

His breathing is also fine. I m wfh, so I keep him in front of my eye. I do have metronidazole syrup at home.

I tried carrot, peas broccoli, bell pepper. But all in vain. He just doesn't eat them. I have started with multivitamins , which has vitamin A too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, pics attached

He does the stretching when ever I give him doxycycline. Before he had never done with cyndamycin. I even bought animal doxy, which is sweet oral suspension. Still he understood today and ran to drink water and stretched his neck and didn't touch the seeds after that.

He acts normal otherwise. he was flapping his wings and eating good qty of food until I gave him doxy. Felt as if he went into depression and then dozed off deep.

His breathing is also fine. I m wfh, so I keep him in front of my eye. I do have metronidazole syrup at home.

I tried carrot, peas broccoli, bell pepper. But all in vain. He just doesn't eat them. I have started with multivitamins , which has vitamin A too.
Yes, pics attached

Yes, pics attached

Pics attached

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

I started doxycycline 4 days back. First 2 days I gave him 0.3ml (1ml syringe). Then from last 2 days I gave him in his food (I'm afraid to aspirate him). He might have had 0.2ml max cause he understood the taste and left the food.

Today when he took the first few grains itself , he ran towards the water. He drank a lot of water and finished all of them, may be more than 15ml water. I don't know if he understands the taste.

He normally eats all millets I give however when I mix meds, he keeps his distance from the food. He doesn't even come near it and then he sleeps off.

Today I could not clean his eyes as I didn't had anyone to help me( he is very eager to fly). After he got up, his eyes won't open. Its stuck.

Tomorrow I will clean with warm water and I'm using eye drop (vet suggested).

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm confused by the label: 15g/60ml would be 250mg/ml, what is the 50mg referring to? If it's 250mg/ml his dose would be 0.05ml, if it's 50mg/ml it would be 0.27ml. That's assuming he is 270g. He looks much smaller to me. Stop giving him unknown doses of drugs that he is having an adverse reaction to.

My first guess with him would be malnutrition, possibly secondary to parasites. I would repeat the ivermectin 2 weeks after the first dose. Don't repeat albendazole, because that is toxic to doves. And try to get a fecal done. You haven't mentioned any thing that makes me think it's bacterial, and if it is malnutrition, killing off his GI flora will only cause more problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm confused by the label: 15g/60ml would be 250mg/ml, what is the 50mg referring to? If it's 250mg/ml his dose would be 0.05ml, if it's 50mg/ml it would be 0.27ml. That's assuming he is 270g. He looks much smaller to me. Stop giving him unknown doses of drugs that he is having an adverse reaction to.

My first guess with him would be malnutrition, possibly secondary to parasites. I would repeat the ivermectin 2 weeks after the first dose. Don't repeat albendazole, because that is toxic to doves. And try to get a fecal done. You haven't mentioned any thing that makes me think it's bacterial, and if it is malnutrition, killing off his GI flora will only cause more problems.
I have attached the other side of the box pic.
I suppose 5ml contains 50mg equivalent
I have ordered scatt and hopefully it should arrive on Sunday as I don't have anyone selling only ivermectin here. It comes in combination. I did give him once a week for 3 weeks.

He did improve a lot when I rescued him. I had given him cyndamycin 0.3ml (1ml syringe) for 5 days and also mite meds. I don't know which one actually worked for him

Then I had stopped and continued only ivermectin mix weekly and multivitamins.

Just few days back, overnight he fell sick again. Next morning his eyes were completely shut, he was getting head twitching and shivers. I thought I have lost him for that moment

I am honestly very confused.

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
That would make it 10mg/ml and the dose for a 270g bird would be 1.35ml.
Ideally you would get diagnostics done. Fecal floats are cheap and any veterinarian should be able to do them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I will get that done. No vet suggested me this strangely. Its better to be sure if its bacterial or not. I think its rescued, so no one is taking seriously .I don't mind spending on the poor baby

What can I do for his eyes. This cornea seems white spots. I'm already giving him multivitamins and eye drop

Today his eyes are completely shut. Also light sensitive and itchy.I think he acts more sick when he is unable to open his eyes and I panic and keep calling doctors.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Honestly, I would stop the meds. Rather keep on giving him the multivitamins. He won't eat carrots by himself. You will need to cut the cooked carrots in small pieces and handfeed to him. In addition to that, you can also handfeed green defrosted peas. Defrost in warm water till soft. Open his beak and put one pea deep inside over the tongue and let him swallow. A youngster that size will need 90 peas per day, divided into 3 meals. Make sure seed are always available.

Do some online reading regarding vitamin deficiency in chickens. There's a lot more info available for chickens than pigeons. The condition of his feathers is already an indication that he lacks nutrition and this is probably affecting his eyes as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can also give it egg patee, this is excellent for small pigeons until they eat seed and they love it.
Get whatever brand, This is made mostly from egg, you need to mix it with a small pinch of water or milk etc...(this would be the binder) then compress the mix with a spoon (downward face) on a hard surface so you mix the binder and the patee to get pieces, chunks of it that you can grab. You can then pinch the chunks to a small stick and show it to the young pigeon or you can grab the pigeon open its mouth and make it eat the piece of patee (first this then you can use the stick method)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts