Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Honestly, I would stop the meds. Rather keep on giving him the multivitamins. He won't eat carrots by himself. You will need to cut the cooked carrots in small pieces and handfeed to him. In addition to that, you can also handfeed green defrosted peas. Defrost in warm water till soft. Open his beak and put one pea deep inside over the tongue and let him swallow. A youngster that size will need 90 peas per day, divided into 3 meals. Make sure seed are always available.

Do some online reading regarding vitamin deficiency in chickens. There's a lot more info available for chickens than pigeons. The condition of his feathers is already an indication that he lacks nutrition and this is probably affecting his eyes as well.
Hi,
Thanks a lot marina and bootface.

I read symptoms of vitamin deficiency as suggested, looks very similar

He sneeze occasionally too. Like seem him twice so far.

I have started with peas. Also he likes eating coriander, and spinach and green leaves. So i will give him in small quantities too. Read its good source of vitamin A.

Today he was much better aft I cleaned his eyes. One day of not cleaning made his eyes stuck

As soon as his eyes opened up, he was all jumpy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You can also give it egg patee, this is excellent for small pigeons until they eat seed and they love it.
Get whatever brand, This is made mostly from egg, you need to mix it with a small pinch of water or milk etc...(this would be the binder) then compress the mix with a spoon (downward face) on a hard surface so you mix the binder and the patee to get pieces, chunks of it that you can grab. You can then pinch the chunks to a small stick and show it to the young pigeon or you can grab the pigeon open its mouth and make it eat the piece of patee (first this then you can use the stick method)
Hi,
Thanks. He eats seeds and grains. He has become just fussy now a days. He just like his millets. Trying to get him eat veggies.馃ぃ going to be a task. I think I spoiled him by giving him what he likes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks everyone. Update: Pijjy eye is much better, just a slight scar line I can still see in sunlight. Strange thing was after his left eyes improved, his right eyes started swelling. I kept cleaning his eyes twice a day as he was rubbing his eyes on his body. Currently both eyes are fine. He just trimmed his overgrown beak himself馃ぃ not sure how.

His feather are not so good though, but I am focusing on his health and nutrition. Hopefully when he moults, he will get better feathers

He eats little bit of carrot,spinach, corriander everyday.

I give him peas, corn and peanuts too but he doesn't seem to like it. But I add everyday. Going to try dried peas tomorrow.

Then I make a mix of all type of grains (finger millet, sorghum, barley, porso etc ) flax, sesame, sunflower, pumpkin seeds. Buckwheat. Lentils (I soak for 30 min and then dry them a bit) he likes it that way. Also I give him green moong sprouts, he likes that too.

Also I noticed he doesn't eat anything bigger than sorghum. Green moong sprouts also I have to split it 馃ぃ
Are the above meeting the nutrition required for his sickness.

He also likes eating dusts when I leave him, he just rush to corners of the house and below the cupboard, breaks the pieces of walls to eat. I did give him calcium and mineral grit, but he is not interested.

I do add vitamin supplements alternative day as I don't want to over do it.

Currently I am keeping him in cats cage. I free him in my house for 7 to 9 hours daily. Starting days was painful as he wouldn't go back to his cage, but now he goes once it starts getting dark. As in, I need to convince him without touching him.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Also he seems little afraid.. I think may be he doesn't like being holded. So I have now stopped as he is doing much better and active when I leave him in the house. Bfr I had to apply aloe vera on his bald head and clean his eyes. Although I still feel I should continue, but then I thought may be he will do better when i stop stressing him. He is not that friendly currently. I don't know what can I do to make him comfy

Registered
Sounds like he is in good care, just keep on as you are doing now. He might take time to completely heal. You can also do some online reading reg chickens with vitamin deficiencies. There's so much info online reg chickens. He will probably not become completely tame. Eating the cement must be how he trims the beak.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi Marina,

Thanks a lot. Yes, I read abt vitamin dificiency. They even get white scabs on fair follicle and beak just like my pijjy. I am now a days noticing many pigeon near my window with bad feathers too.

Even I don't think he will become tame :D he flys around the house, but he is dragging his wings slightly bfr talking the flight and aft landing. He is fit otherwise and very active now

he scratches his head a lot though. Is there anything I can so that he stop scratching, he ends up wounding it and I'm afraid he might get secondary infection if they start bleeding

Here are the latest pics.

Attachments

Registered
The feather loss on the head can be due to mites and that can cause itching and making him scratch. Can you get carbadust from an agricultural store? You can mix some with a bit of water till it forms a soft paste and cover his head with that. Just avoid the eyes and ears. Leave this on for a couple of days. You might have to repeat this regularly to get rid of all the mites. You can also put the dry powder on the rest of his body, esp under the wings.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi Marina,

Thanks. I don't think karbadust is available here. tried searching, but I will look out for active ingredients which will match and safe for birds use.

I also bought diatomaceous earth food grade, I will be mixing little with river sand. Hopefully he takes a sand bath

I did use ivermectin + albendazole once weekly 3 times. I came to know later albendazole is Risky, but we get only combination syrup here unfortunately.

I ordered for scatt from Amazon however I haven't used it yet. I am just paranoid to give him meds, don't know what will turn toxic. During the treatment, his white flakes vanished.

But then, not sure why they came back. May be I under dozed him. It was 1.5mg each 5ml. I was told by the vet to give only 1 drop weekly.

Should I go ahead to put a drop on him of scatt or is it safer to use diatomaceous and karbadust instead.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Something is chewing his feathers. I see a growth and suddenly they vanish and only white flakes left aft a while. I think cause of his deficiency and weak immunity, these mites are multiplying rapidly, i read somewhere in article.

I haven't done so much research for myself even. Lol.

Thanks a lot again.

Registered
I've never used scatt. Those flakes are actually normal, all young pigeons shed them. I think in your case they are just more obvious because of the lack of feathering. Karbadust will be the safest product to use. He must definitely has mites. I've read giving them a chamomile tea bath will also help for external parasites. But you will probably also need to do this regularly.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi marina,

I can't seem to find carbaryl powder any where. I spoke to my local animal chemist and he suggested notix, which has propoxur ingredients. I searched online, seems its toxic to birds. Screenshot attached. Have you heard anyone using this for pigeon.

Also today I uses chamoline tea bag soaked in warm water on his head and neck. Thereafter applied aloe vera for now.

Also the dust bath of diatomaceous earth and river sand went the other way round. 馃ぃ he was more interested to eat them.

Attachments

Registered
Don't use something if you are not 100% sure. Rather continue with the chamomile tea. You can use a bit of vaseline on the head to smother the mites, but it will be difficult to remove afterwards and he will be a bit oily.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks Marina, Chamoline tea is working as a charm. it has a mix of holy basil (tulsi) and honey too. It's a tea bag馃ぃ. I reduce the concentration by adding more water. His white flakes has reduced in 2 days. And ofcourse, my new fav aloe vera after that. Although he still itching, but I see visible improvement.

Unfortunately, while he was trying to get down to the floor 2 days back, he banged the ironing board :(
I saw that he immediately had uneasiness on his right wing.

Today I noticed again that he is dropping his same wing low after flights. As in, when he flies on cupboard and high shelves. I don't think its broken, as it was a small hit hopefully.

He is otherwise holding his wings fine and sleep on one leg. After multiple flights he is dropping the wing too. Seems flying hurts him.

Now I know why he was a good boy when I was holding him to apply.

I'm planning to keep him in cage for 3 to 4 days and not hold him, so that his wing will heal. He is very impatient to fly and will keep flapping till I open the cage.

I'm praying nothing more adds up and I can release him next month. Feeling very bad that I'm holding onto a feral for such a long time.

Registered
You will need to do a soft release, meaning he needs to spend time outside during the day (in a cage) to get used to the area and observe the other pigeons. He won't know where to find food out there, so you will need to supply him with food after releasing. It's not always easy. Don't feel guilty about keeping him for longer. Make sure he is 100% fine.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts