Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
History (don't shoot me): I had 8 birds that looked ready to fly, they went in traps after being set in yard in cage for several days. First time I opened loft they were curious, hung out on landing board. I went in the loft, dumped out the water tub, seemingly frightened them to flight, never got 4 of the birds back. Some of them had flown a little at a friends place, they might have gone back but he has not said. Remaining 4 were flown as they wanted near dusk for maybe a week or so, I did a cross yard release, then a 2.4 mile release, they never came back.

My reflections: don't startle new birds, don't take birds so far out so early, wait until they have flown out greater distances on their own.

Current: I have 4 birds I bought, they were supposedly unflown but 4-5 months old. These four have been here 2-3 weeks, not flown. I also have 7 more free birds from same original source, weaned in the past month. I have had them out in the settling cage twice a day for the past 2 days, once a day a few times prior to that. They are either conditioned or hungry enough to go back in bob-trap as soon as I let them, eat a good meal right away.

So my debate now is when to allow them to fly some on their own. My expectation is that they are trap trained to meals/calls and that I should be able to keep a quiet loft and start letting hungry birds explore a little at the end of the day. Then I should let them get a lot more time in flights built up prior to road training them.

Please share your thoughts regarding suitability to let these YB start flying.
Thank you.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
History (don't shoot me): I had 8 birds that looked ready to fly, they went in traps after being set in yard in cage for several days. First time I opened loft they were curious, hung out on landing board. I went in the loft, dumped out the water tub, seemingly frightened them to flight, never got 4 of the birds back. Some of them had flown a little at a friends place, they might have gone back but he has not said. Remaining 4 were flown as they wanted near dusk for maybe a week or so, I did a cross yard release, then a 2.4 mile release, they never came back.
I would call the friend and ask about the birds. They very well may have gone back.

My reflections: don't startle new birds, don't take birds so far out so early, wait until they have flown out greater distances on their own.
GOOD ADVICE.
More good advice. Sorry you had to learn the hard way. Those of us who race our bird normally have them out loft flying by the time they are 6 or 7 weeks old and it's months after that before we start road training. For instance, my birds have been flying around the loft (some) since March and in the past two weeks, have flown every day almost, weather permitting. They have yet to see the inside of a basket and probably won't until sometime in July. About half of my birds are flying over an hour every morning and are staying gone for at least 35 to 40 minutes. THAT is when you know they are ready to be taken down the road.

Current: I have 4 birds I bought, they were supposedly unflown but 4-5 months old. These four have been here 2-3 weeks, not flown. I also have 7 more free birds from same original source, weaned in the past month. I have had them out in the settling cage twice a day for the past 2 days, once a day a few times prior to that. They are either conditioned or hungry enough to go back in bob-trap as soon as I let them, eat a good meal right away.

So my debate now is when to allow them to fly some on their own. My expectation is that they are trap trained to meals/calls and that I should be able to keep a quiet loft and start letting hungry birds explore a little at the end of the day. Then I should let them get a lot more time in flights built up prior to road training them.

Please share your thoughts regarding suitability to let these YB start flying.
Thank you.
You're asking about both groups of birds I assume? First of all, I would not let the two different age groups fly together. Not yet anyway. Those older birds are very likely to take off on you just like the first ones. They are very wing strong and if both groups are out together, the younger ones maybe would try to follow the older ones and who knows where they would wind up.
If the older ones were not flown at their previous home, then sure, go ahead and try them. Same for the younger ones........just do the two groups separate until you see how it's going to go.
No need to rush the road training. Let the birds fly around the loft and wait for them to take off and stay gone for a while. This is how they "imprint" the surrounding area and "learn" where home is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts