Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd love to know some general (or specific) thoughts on the Kannibaal family. I'm thinking of adding a pair to my loft. I'm guessing you may ask "why that family" for my circumstances and I don't have a good reason. I'd just like to know what the general consensus is on them.

I'll add this question, though: If you were to start your loft over today, what family (families) would you look at first? The only criteria I would add would be that they need to compete well in the 300-500 mile range. Of course, the other very large criteria that someone is sure to ask is the budget. Obviously, let's be reasonable! How about $300-$3000 budget.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Is the $300-$3000 your budget in purchasing birds or is that everything including building a loft. The Kannibaal line is very popular but if I was going to start racing I would locate a nearest club find out who is winning in the area and see what bloodline he got. I once read that its better to have a pair or two of good quality birds than having to have 25 of mediocre birds that you have no clue of what they are capable of. In this business just because you have the best bloodline doesn't mean you will be a winner, proper caring and training need to be included in your regiment. Theres a lot to it, research and take your time, the web is a great tool.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The budget range was for the bird only. And, yeah, I do have the good fortune of having some good birds (I think) from local flyers. I'm just curious what others would stock their loft with today if they were starting over. I realize that having good or great birds will only get you part of the way to consistent success, but if you have bad birds, you'll never get there no matter how good of a handler you are. In my case right now, I really don't know if I have great birds or just OK birds and probably won't really know for another year. So I have a little 'mad money' I'm willing to put into something a little more 'known'. My best wish? That I could afford a pair of breeders that are proven to produce what I want (instead of children of proven birds). And honestly, I won't be putting 3k into birds, but I would still like to know what families you all like even if they are in that price range.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Koopman, sure bet, sissy bloodlines are what people going crazy now adays, I wish I can afford this type of birds but one can only wish for.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The budget range was for the bird only. And, yeah, I do have the good fortune of having some good birds (I think) from local flyers. I'm just curious what others would stock their loft with today if they were starting over. I realize that having good or great birds will only get you part of the way to consistent success, but if you have bad birds, you'll never get there no matter how good of a handler you are. In my case right now, I really don't know if I have great birds or just OK birds and probably won't really know for another year. So I have a little 'mad money' I'm willing to put into something a little more 'known'. My best wish? That I could afford a pair of breeders that are proven to produce what I want (instead of children of proven birds). And honestly, I won't be putting 3k into birds, but I would still like to know what families you all like even if they are in that price range.

I would be willing to bet if you bought 20 birds from local flyers and had the stipulation that they were either siblings or children of winners you could do this with little money and be way farther ahead than your other route of getting maybe 10 $300 dollar birds or 5 $600 dollars birds. In the 5 you would be lucky to get a good one and in the ten maybe one good pair if you were lucky. If the 20 from the local guys were raced and maybe did well or raced consistant your odds would increase even more of getting good birds.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be willing to bet if you bought 20 birds from local flyers and had the stipulation that they were either siblings or children of winners you could do this with little money and be way farther ahead than your other route of getting maybe 10 $300 dollar birds or 5 $600 dollars birds. In the 5 you would be lucky to get a good one and in the ten maybe one good pair if you were lucky. If the 20 from the local guys were raced and maybe did well or raced consistant your odds would increase even more of getting good birds.
Yeah, you're probably right. But it's fun to dream big. Who knows, maybe I already have a little red hen superstar in my loft right now keeping warm her two babies that will make her famous ;)

G

·
Yeah, you're probably right. But it's fun to dream big. Who knows, maybe I already have a little red hen superstar in my loft right now keeping warm her two babies that will make her famous ;)
I agree dream big and as they say if you set your sights on the stars, you might just land on the moon;)

·
Registered
470 Posts
kannibal.....kannibal is the hottest blood rigth now but give it a year or two and you wont hear it again....on the sun city million dollar race koopman entered almost 91 pigeons never got a first or ssecond place, and yet lucky enough to manage 16th place to cover up embarassment(and pipa adores it), manwhile gaby vandenadale entered 3 birds and got second place and never got any compliments, now i realise how unconsistent this blood (kannibal) is... just like my TOILET jansssen or any other blood( strain)... you know its all about the marketing and the MONEY....just like mike ganus they entered sso much numbered of bird that mosy likely they will hit one, when hit one they make a big deal about it... to cover up their loss..... kannibal blood is on going downside now, just like all the prepotent strain or bird they had their time....

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I'd love to know some general (or specific) thoughts on the Kannibaal family. I'm thinking of adding a pair to my loft. I'm guessing you may ask "why that family" for my circumstances and I don't have a good reason. I'd just like to know what the general consensus is on them.

I'll add this question, though: If you were to start your loft over today, what family (families) would you look at first? The only criteria I would add would be that they need to compete well in the 300-500 mile range. Of course, the other very large criteria that someone is sure to ask is the budget. Obviously, let's be reasonable! How about $300-$3000 budget.
Sorry, I don't really know anything about the Kannibaal line, except that it has been agressively marketed and sold.

If some unfortunate chain of events, like a fire, would cause me to start all over again, and I had a $300 to $3000 budget, I would look for people who own SFL USA banded birds ! :cool:

I did have a fire a long time ago, and so I have taken measures to insure that some body, some where, will have some birds bred by Warren Smith. My only hope, is that with a small budget, that they will take pity on me.

I am not sure, that was exactly your question, but that is what I would do. Now, if I was in a time machine, and I had to go back in time, and do it all over again, except this time, I only had the budget you stated, instead of the six figures that my partner Lew Burns and I "Invested" in racing pigeons these past 15 years, then I would start in my own back yard.

As a member of the United Pigeon Combine, there are a number of outstanding fliers and breeders within a hour or two, who own and fly some outstanding home grown familes of good pigeons. Just one example, Fred Smeltzer of 720 fame, built that family just a few miles down the road. I suspect, if you are in a large enough combine, that there would be members there who just might help you out. If not, then arrange to visit a combine out of the area, and visit some of those winning lofts.

I am fortunate, that within a few hours drive, to New York or New Jersey, there are hundreds of lofts. And on any given Sunday, armed with a roll of $100 bills, I am sure a person getting back into pigeons, could find a few decent pairs from which to start a loft. The names on the pedigrees, if any, are not important, they could be Smith's or they could be Jone's etc. There are many hundred's of them, so first thing, perhaps best piece of free "advice"...is quit looking for a particular brand name....at $300 to $3000 you will only be sold something a couple generations down from the real thing anyway. Buy, a couple of good no name birds, and you just may end up ahead of most of the other "brand name" guys anyway. :)

G

·
Sorry, I don't really know anything about the Kannibaal line, except that it has been agressively marketed and sold.

If some unfortunate chain of events, like a fire, would cause me to start all over again, and I had a $300 to $3000 budget, I would look for people who own SFL USA banded birds ! :cool:

I did have a fire a long time ago, and so I have taken measures to insure that some body, some where, will have some birds bred by Warren Smith. My only hope, is that with a small budget, that they will take pity on me.

I am not sure, that was exactly your question, but that is what I would do. Now, if I was in a time machine, and I had to go back in time, and do it all over again, except this time, I only had the budget you stated, instead of the six figures that my partner Lew Burns and I "Invested" in racing pigeons these past 15 years, then I would start in my own back yard.

As a member of the United Pigeon Combine, there are a number of outstanding fliers and breeders within a hour or two, who own and fly some outstanding home grown familes of good pigeons. Just one example, Fred Smeltzer of 720 fame, built that family just a few miles down the road. I suspect, if you are in a large enough combine, that there would be members there who just might help you out. If not, then arrange to visit a combine out of the area, and visit some of those winning lofts.

I am fortunate, that within a few hours drive, to New York or New Jersey, there are hundreds of lofts. And on any given Sunday, armed with a roll of $100 bills, I am sure a person getting back into pigeons, could find a few decent pairs from which to start a loft. The names on the pedigrees, if any, are not important, they could be Smith's or they could be Jone's etc. There are many hundred's of them, so first thing, perhaps best piece of free "advice"...is quit looking for a particular brand name....at $300 to $3000 you will only be sold something a couple generations down from the real thing anyway. Buy, a couple of good no name birds, and you just may end up ahead of most of the other "brand name" guys anyway. :)
^_^ that is very sound advice and I agree whole heartedly and I only hear good things about those SFL birds as well hehe :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts