Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lots of wild life out where I live, every now and then pigeons go missing. last week one disapeared I see coyotes sometimes but they cant get to the pigeons, birds of pray aren't around right now, cats don't touch the birds. Today I found a opossum in my live trap that I set up by/in my barn where I keep my pigeons, I know that rats and opossums eat eggs but can they catch and eat large full grown pigeons???:confused: I'v raised baby opossums before but they only ate my dogs food and and table scraps. They ignored my pigeons.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yep, they will eat the pigeon if they can get a hold of it.. usually if one did get a bird it leaves the body there but the rear end is first eaten out. so that is how one tells if the "possom" was the culprit, at least around here that is what has been seen with fellow bird keepers.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
They are also very good climbers, making getting at the birds fairly easy at times. And I have actually had a possum cut their nose/face so bad digging through the buried wire that when I caught it to remove it from my fly pen, part of its nose and upper lip were left behind. I have never seen such self mutilization. Must have been one hungry critter. And after all that trauma, it never did get a bird.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Do you have any wildlife rehab centers in your area? Or does your city/town have an animal control office? You could give them a call. Or you could drive several miles away and release it. The farther the better, or you could end up seeing it again.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Boy he sure does look pissed off! Definately food for thought when designing the fly pen this spring. Thanks for the info almondman.
Your welcome! You may have seen the other thread about using chicken wire. My visitor was one reason for my changing wire.:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes I did see that thread, I personally do not use chicken wire. I can certainly understand why you would change it. I had a Opossum on my property once, my dogs sent it up a fence, it never came back but I am wary of them.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Do you have any wildlife rehab centers in your area? Or does your city/town have an animal control office? You could give them a call. Or you could drive several miles away and release it. The farther the better, or you could end up seeing it again.
Just remember, opossums may have a family too ;)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
possie's are nomads, they do not stay in one area long
they are very misundertood
need to make it so nothing can get into the loft, there will always be more critters coming and going, if the loft is secure you should have no problems

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Vova - do you still have the critter? ( kinda hope you don't ):eek:
Quazar brings up a good point. An alternative, if you still have the critter, or maybe for future problems, is to take him to the edge of your lot line, and create as much noise as possible as you release it. Banging metal trash can lids could work nicely. This MIGHT keep it from coming back.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Possums are a fact of life for me. In TN it is illegal to relocate them. The rehab centers will take the ones hit by cars only to put them down and test for rabies and such. Farm caught possums are either your pet(which is illegal) or fertilizer(trying to put it nicely). So you have the choice in TN of popping a cap which is leagal or relocating the animal which is illeagal. So you know I have and will continue to do illeagal and leagal removeal.

Possums are marsupials so if they have babies they will be with their mother this time of year. Remember them being nomads coment above. They do not nest and go back to it each night. Fathers have no further duties with the babies once made.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks spirit wings just what we in the country need more pigeon eaters. Fix up your pens get a dog leave a radio on over night whatever but don't make your problem our problem. We are not a dumping ground for feral cats , possum , **** etc . Look after your own we do.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Possums are marsupials so if they have babies they will be with their mother this time of year. Remember them being nomads coment above. They do not nest and go back to it each night. Fathers have no further duties with the babies once made.
Not quite true. they are nomads, but will settle in one place with family (usually in a hollow log or under a house) and continue to return untill food in that area becomes harder to find, or untill the home becomes unsafe, then they will move on. Incidently, the young when born are absolutely tiny (you can fit about 10 on a SPOON)

Actually, they are not really that aggresive or destructive & eat garbage, fruit, vegetables, green plants, snails, slugs, snakes, and insects, including cockroaches, crickets, and beetles. They catch and eat rats and mice. They also eat dead animals of all types, I suppose if hungry enough they may eat pigeons but doubtful if they would actually try to get into a loft unless there was a space big enough.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
They are also very good climbers, making getting at the birds fairly easy at times. And I have actually had a possum cut their nose/face so bad digging through the buried wire that when I caught it to remove it from my fly pen, part of its nose and upper lip were left behind. I have never seen such self mutilization. Must have been one hungry critter. And after all that trauma, it never did get a bird.
Quazar - I would beg to differ with your opinion that they would not try to get into a loft. May not be their normal hunting grounds, but they tried on at least one occasion.:eek: I know of other times when possums were caught in chicken coops stealing eggs, and on several occasions, eating chicks. This happened on my in-law's farm. And although they are normally not that aggressive, be very careful if you get one cornered.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Its strange, as they dont normally dig either, unless they were really in starvation mode, but yes they do eat eggs also.
They are wild animals, and I certainly wouldnt want to corner one.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.