Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious, is there such a thing as "fast crop"? I noticed upon feeding my baby dove this morning that his crop emptied immediately. Fed him several more times and the same thing happened. I started feeding at 7:30 and have been feeding off and on since (its now 10am). Maybe the food is too watery? Its like the consistency of soup. The chick is 4 days old today BTW.
I just felt his crop and it's remained full this time. He is still begging, but I'll let him rest for a while now. He must have eaten at least 5ml. Maybe the crop emptying so fast was just because this was his first meal since he went to sleep last night.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Too watery mix may be your reason. Just make sure that poops are fine (not watery) and baby has enough energy. If not, prepare formula a bit thicker.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
How much are you feeding? As the baby grows, it's important to increase the amount of formula a little each day to keep up with the growth.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know the exact amount that im feeding but it feels like a lot. I just feed him whenever he begs and his crop is empty.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
How thick is the formula?

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Hi seijun,

How old were these Babys when you began feeding them? And how old now?

And, what exactly are you feeding?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Formula is as thick as progresso clam chowder. Its like soup consistency. Chick is 4 days old,and has been fed on this formula for 4 days.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Ohhhh...

What happened to their Parents?

And, what is the 'formula' then?

KT?

Something else?

When it comes out the other end, does it look the same then? Or?

What are the poops shaped like? What is their consistency? Color?

Images of the Babys?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A friend at my work caught the mother with a damaged wing and she laid an egg. I took the egg home, incubated, and hatched it. I have been feeding the chick MacMilk formula with eater added.

The poops have been changing day to day. At first it was mostly liquid, then little black-green things in a half-circle shape with a lot of liquid, now large brown dollops with less liquid.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
my view is stay on the thinner side at 4 days old, keeping him well hydrated is a good thing.
slowly increase to a thicker consistency, till its at it thickest around 14 days old.
you may want to change over to kaytee at about a week old
try to pay attention to how many ml's it takes to fill his crop.
as he takes larger amounts it will take longer to empty and feedings will begin to spread apart
a good gram scale is a life saver, weighing him everyday in the morning before you feed him will tell you how he is doing more than anything, he should gain weight everyday, if he's not you will need to increase the density of the formula a little bit at a time, or add a late night feeding.
i always add a good dose of probiotics once a day with little ones even if the formula has some in it, especially when they didn't get fed from the parents hardly at all

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The thing I do is get yourself a weighing scale from the store that you would weigh meats and things on. Ideally weigh the baby bird first...then feed the baby, weigh him again, when you weigh him you want his weight to be 10% more with the food in him. When you reach this stop feeding. Remember baby birds will see movement by them and look up with their beaks open that doesn't always mean they are hungry, always check the crop first then weigh empty and then feed and re weigh the baby again. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
The thing I do is get yourself a weighing scale from the store that you would weigh meats and things on. Ideally weigh the baby bird first...then feed the baby, weigh him again, when you weigh him you want his weight to be 10% more with the food in him. When you reach this stop feeding. Remember baby birds will see movement by them and look up with their beaks open that doesn't always mean they are hungry, always check the crop first then weigh empty and then feed and re weigh the baby again. Hope this helps.
greeat tip, i will remember that!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The other thing the vet told me years ago is keeping one on hand when you have birds and then weigh them 1 time every 2 weeks or 1time a month, mark it down so when you weigh them again you will know if they are losing alot of weight and you didn't notice.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies! I thickened his food a little with kaytee and also changed the way I was feeding him, and this seems to have helped. Before I think he was gulping a lot of air and when I felt his crop deflate that was just him "burping" out all the air he had swallowed. I had been feeding him using a baby bottle nipple attached to a small syringe but he has grown so much hat he was draining the food in the nipple too fast and swallowing a lot of air. Now I am feeding him directly from the back of the nipple so he can get a lot more food in one gulp, and a lot less air.

I'll see about getting a gram scale this weekend. He seems to be eating about 1 ml more per day so far, and I try to feed until is crop is 3/4 full.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Hi Seijun,

Sounds like you are doing well with this..!

The biological parents of course impart various enzymes and flora and fauna which aid the neonate's Digestive process...and these can be approximated by adding supplimental digestive Enzymes and pro-biotics to the formula we prepare for them, or, in some cases, the store-bought formula has these in it already to some degree or other.

Good hydration is crucial for Babys, and, not always easy to acheive with formula only...so, allowing them to drink close to body temperature Water between meals is good to do.

Babys of course have to be kept warm for their systems and health to flourish...if they chill, all slows down and illnesses can begin.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The food I am feeding has yogurt and also some benevac added. Unfortunately, no place around here carries avian pb's (petco is out of the avian benevac), so I am using the "small animal" benevac.
I do give him warm water occasionally if the food does not seem to be moving out of his system very fast. Today I fed him a mix that was 3/4 Macmilk and 1/4 kaytee and it seems to be moving through fine so far. At 5 days old he is a little bundle of energy, at least when he's hungry. When asleep, nothing will wake him!

Yes, temp is one thing I am constantly obsessing over. Always warm my hands before handling him much, and I feed him in a dish set on a candle warmer so he stays warm while eating.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts