Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

A week ago we had a feral pigeon come in that's been attacked by a cat, ruptured crop and his left eye was closed, we've glued the crop and have treated with antibiotics and something for the pain. (Amoxicillin and Metacam)

The eye is now open but it's dry and crustry around both eyes with the left being the worst, his breathing was a little laboured last Friday evening so we suspected that to be Ornithosis and we've being treating with Doxycycline since then. (40mg/kg twice a day)

His breathing has improved but right from the start he's been very weak on his legs and has a tendency to topple over to one side. We attributed that to the cat attack at first with the bird being so sore but he hasn't improved in that respect and we can't find any injury that would be causing a problem with his legs.

I'm concerned that something else may be responsible or is this the Ornithosis? He isn't eating and drinking so we've been hand feeding.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Are you feeding him enough? Defrosted green peas are quite easy to feed to a pigeon, he will need 50 peas 3 times daily total of 150 per day. Just open the beak and put the pea deep inside over the tongue. Give him time to swallow and proceed with the next one.

He was seriously injured and will take a while to recover. I've never dealt with ornithosis in pigeons, but from what I've read treatment can be up to 45 days. Just continue with what you are doing and hopefully there will be an improvement.

Keep him in a quiet room in a cage. Put down seed and water for him, if he does not eat right now he might start when feeling better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Marina.

We've been feeding 80ml of hand feeding formula throughout the day, he does have seed and water in the cage. We didn't want to stress him out by hand feeding something solid at this stage but I have used defrosted peas before with other bird's.

Yep, the Ornithosis treatment is a long one at 45 day's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts