Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,There used to be a wild female pigeon that made friends with me as I fed her and because i had a bird bath set up for her.She would let me pet her and occasionaley let me pick her up.So she built a nest in my balconey on the 7th floor.She layed eggs and they hatched.The squabs father almost never came we suspect he died as we saw a dead pigeon on the ground floor.For 10 days she took good care of them but soon i noticed her being chased about by other male pigeons they attacked her and i guess one of them mated with her and then she must be busy with a new batch of eggs.And now yesterday the squabs new father came and fed them once.They are very small and they need more food and heat from their mother.The wind in my appartment is extreamley strong and cold.Even once a small plastic bucket was blown away evrn though quarter of it was filled with water.Since they are not even sheltered from the wind in a flower pot it worried me a lot.The parents wouldn't even sleep with them at night!And today someone on the floor above me threw water down their balconey that made them wet and since the mother is nowhere in sight i decided to take things in my own hands.i put them under a heat lamp for a while in a clean box with cloth to keep them warm and siringe fed them and like expected they were starving.Was i too early should i leave them in the flower pot?i can take care of them but is it the right thing to do?Help!!! I am going to be travelling in a matter of 3 days!!I can take them with me or leave them here in these conditions.馃槬

Registered
If they were cold and starving, then you did the right thing! It would have been hard on her to raise 2 young ones by herself. Are you sure it was the new father that came to feed them? A pigeon won't feed the young of another pigeon. The parents do leave the young babies by themselves as they get older, but would come back during the day for feeding and sleep with them at night. But getting a bucket full of cold water on them would have caused their death if you left them outside.

It will be easy to raise them, but releasing them one day might be a problem. In nature the parents teach the babies where to find food, water and shelter. If raised by humans, they don't have those survival skills.

Registered
Where are you located? As Marina has said, if the Mom paired up with another male, then he wouldn't have come to feed the babies.
How old are the babies? Can you post pictures of the babies?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Mother's arrival

Thank you everybody. For the great suggestions but it seems that the problem has been resolved. The mother finally came back and fed the babies. I am still a little concerned about the minimum care she is providing to the babies. I suppose it was the mother that came and fed the babies day before yesterday but what is confusing is that she doesn't even sleep with them. I live in Pakistan. Is their anything that I can do? I only have 2 days and need to make the right choice. Please help!

And as asked here are some pics:

Attachments

Registered
I assume you've put them back in the nest. How do they look to you otherwise? Do they seem happy, grooming themselves, moves around a little bit? Or do they sit puffed up with the eyes closed?

The mum should be feeding them 2 or 3 times a day. The feeding sometimes happens so quick that you won't always see that happening. But the crops should be full after each feeding. Maybe you should spend the next day just checking if the crops are full or not and if they look like happy chicks.

How long are you going away for?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They do groom themselves occasionally and move around a little bit especially the small one.The small squab is more well fed I noticed his crop is completely full while the older squab's crop is a little empty.Should I feed it I am afraid to interfere now that the mother is back but she still doesn't sleep with them at night. I am leaving for 10-18 days(we are not sure if we are going to extend our vacation.)Thank you again.馃檪But still need your advice.

Registered
I think they will be ok. The mom knows what's best for them, even if she don't sleep with them at night. It's a good thing the smaller one gets fed more, usually they are the ones that gets neglected. Don't intefere at this stage by feeding them.

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. By the time you come back, they will almost be ready to fledge. Now you can go and enjoy your holiday, it would be nice to have an update when you get back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.