Pigeon-Talk banner

Orphaned racing pigeon

318 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rpape1 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Two days ago I was handed a lost racing pigeon, by someone who knew I kept birds.

He'd been stranded on their windowsill for two weeks. The home owners had been feeding and watering the bird to keep it alive, but apparently it was constantly suffering stress and bullying from other birds during it's time there, and wouldn't budge from it's spot. They eventually caught it.

The bird was extremely stressed and scared on the ride home, but since getting into my spare bedroom with food and boxes, he's calmed down.

The bird has a blank yellow unidentifiable ring, and the owner hasn't come forward online, so I'm keeping him.

He ate a little upon arrival and drank a bit, then went to sleep. My problem is that he's sleeping lots now, and doesn't appear to be eating or drinking much- the bird has appeared to be completely exhausted. It's day 2 now, and he's still tired, so I'm worried.

I checked inside the mouth for canker, no sign. His poops look normal for a seed diet pigeon, urates normal also. He doesn't have any injuries (but I'll double check) and he smells fine.

I've given him some 4-in-1 in his water, but like I said he doesn't appear to be mobile or drinking / eating compared to my other birds. He might be doing it when I'm out the room, but he hasn't left his perch spot since arrival.

All help is appreciated, thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't give him meds for now, give him time to recover. You can check his droppings rather and compare this to those of your other pigeons. There should be plenty and they should be brown with a white dot on top. Then you know he is eating. Probably still frightened and eating when you are not around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.