Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:)We have been anxiously watching the nest that appeared on out balcony about three weeks ago and today we found two beautiful baby pigeolettes safe and well. We've been watching the parent feeding them and attending to them. It's SO lovely.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
They ARE awesome! We have called them Stevie and Clover - 'Stevie' cos he hatched on my daughter's dad's birthday (Steve) and Clover cos she is sweet and pretty.

Another pidge has nested in a planter at the other end of the balcony now. One egg was laid 4 days ago and the parents are sitting. There doesn't seem to be another egg tho so this one could be an only chick.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Kancora,

How lovely you will be able to watch them grow. I love the names and wish them and the new 'to be' parents all the luck in the world with rearing these little ones.

Pictures as they grow would be very welcome, (if you can get them without disturbing the famlies though). :)

Janet

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I will try. I have managed to get pics when the parent has flown up onto the roof for a minute or two - usually because they've seen movement in the house. But they don't go far and not for long. I've got my web cam on them so we can watch without opening the curtains.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Six Days Old

Clover and Stevie looking SO different after just 6 days. Clover is the one at the back with the stripe down her beak and her big brother Stevie is at the front with the great hairstyle.

·
Registered
288 Posts
We have a family living on our balcony in Bangkok. Just started this thread on them after finding this Board.

We've been through five batches now, and another squab from a sixth batch just hatched out there six days ago. (The second egg seems to be unfertilized.)

Fine-looking squabs you have. Look a lot like ours. :D. I hope you enjoy your pigeons, because they may not leave now. The parents, that is; the squabs have always left. (One actually tried to come back and move in as an adult, but the father fought him off.) We've enjoyed "our" pigeons very much and always leave fresh water out for them. The couple have lived out there for a year now.

EDIT: Had a double "http://" in that link. Fixed now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They DO look like yours! We will put water out for ours too - yours looked like they really enjoy a bath.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes, it's always funny to watch when the squabs first discover water. They always seems amazed by it, and the first thing they almost always do is hop right in. They'll leave the nest and start to look around at about age 3 weeks or so, if I remember.

I see your squabs are entering into what we've called the "tumor phase." Their breasts will swell up big as their bodies start to grow. The first time we saw that, we honestly wondered if something was wrong with them! But no, the rest of the body will catch up.

The wife just asked if you would take a picture of the parents, too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Broken Egg Being Incubated

:(There is another nest on the balcony with an egg that was laid about 14 days ago. The parents are sitting on it but it has a big crack in it and a whole about a third of an inch wide. The membrane is not broken so nothing has come out, BUT, it appears to be half filled with a brownish liquid. Is it dead or is that normal?:confused:

·
Registered
288 Posts
That does not sound good. From our limited experience and what we've read, it should not hatch until at least 17 days. Something could have broken it. :(

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'd still leave the egg with the parents, just for a few more days. It can't do any harm. If it hasn't hatched after 19 days then you'll kow for sure, but I'm no expert.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts