Pigeon-Talk banner

Our first foal, just now!

Tags
foal
2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  TerriB 
#1 · (Edited)
Walked outside an hour ago and saw that our miniature horse had her baby in the back yard. We have been keeping her there to watch for this event. We were of course expecting it, but not until she started showing signs of it coming. It's a leakage thing that I won't go into.

Anyway. Took some pics of it and can't wait to show y'all but don't have time to upload them right now. Everything went perfectly and she is beautiful.

It's a girl and looks just like daddy (Not me. Roy the miniature horse, sillies). :)

#2 ·
Okay. Here are some pics taken in the dark. First one is daddy behind the fence away from mommy and baby.

Here is the new addition to our managerie. Haven't named her yet but momma is Star and daddy is Roy.

Since she looks so much like daddy, I am thinking about "Royce". Could that be a girls name?

Will have better pics tomorrow in the daylight. My wife took some just a minute or two after the birth but they are not on a digital camera and we will have to get them developed.

#3 ·
You certainly do have a manageerie and how precious is that--just moments after birth--how nice--and what a good experience you had to see all this--I never saw a baby horse born and how lucky you were to experience it---how is the proud mama doing--and I bet your wife is beaming---congradualations PaPa.......c.hert

#4 ·
Yep. Baby still is a little wet from birth. Momma is doing fine. The baby reminds me of a giraffe. All legs and neck. :)

You're right about my wife. She is sooo excited and worried about everything. We have spent the last hour moving everything that the unsteady foal could fall on and hurt herself. I don't think my wife is going to be able to sleep tonight. I sat down here at the computer to upload the pics and send a couple of emails with pics, and my wife has ordered me three times to go outside to check on the baby. In just a matter of minutes I have had to check three times!

I haven't been this excited since my pigeons from Belgium had their first baby hatch.

The time before that was watching Racquel Welsh in the movie "One Million Years BC". (that was a looong time ago) :)

#6 ·
You have your hands full conditionfreak and good luck with your lovely wife---She have you go out when it snows or rains or she hears noises and this is Your Job as the man of the house and I am really enjoying this aspect of it all--good for her---.Your baby is awesome and really enjoyed the news and the pictures---now get out there and make sure everything is going well and get a hot water heating system for your baby...Love c.hert lol lol Enjoy....

#7 ·
We had an agreement that if it was a boy, I got to name it. Since it is a girl, my wife gets to name it. But my wife can not for the life of her, make decisions. When we go to Burger King or McDonalds, it takes her ten minutes to decide what to order. I'm ready in ten seconds or less.

Anyway, we (SHE) is thinking about Stormy or Storm. I like Royce or Starling. But Stormy or Storm is okay with me also.

The name Stormy came up because Lena Horne just passed away and one of heer big hits was "Stormy Weather". Thought it might be a little tribute to "the Horne" (as Fred Sanford used to call her).

Got any ideas for a girl horse name?

#12 ·
How about "Royal" or "Royal Storm"? Or "Royelle"? Beautiful foal! I had one born six weeks early in the middle of hurricane Hugo years ago. His mother's name was Suddenly so i think she must have been delivered early, too. He grew up to be a real pistol!
Congratulations! I love that age!

#16 ·
Don't know if y'all saw this in the news a couple of weeks ago, but it is the smallest miniature horse foal ever recorded. Cute as a button. Look at the giant head. Only 6 pounds at birth. Previous record was 9 pounds. Born somewhere in New Hampshire. Keep in mind that the mother is tiny anyway. That puts in perspective how little this cute guy is.

Our new little girl weighs about 30 pounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.