Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The supply store I get my feeds from ran out off the pigeon grit so I decided to buy a 10 lbs bag of crushed oyster shell. When I got home I gave it to my pigeons and they were fighting over it. In less then an hour, a cup full was devoured. They never eat their pigeon grit that fast.

My concern is there anything bad with this? I continue to give them about 2 cups a day. I have about 60 birds

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Seems to me there's certain things pigeons go overboard for. Oystershell is excellent for calcium, I believe, so maybe they just know what they need and when.

I see the same thing with a red calcium/mineral block which I crumble into dishes for our birds. In no time any bird not on the nest is out, like they can smell it, from every corner crowding round to get some. We only give it about once a week, and the rest of the time they get a good grit which does contain some oystershell.

John

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi EZEMAXIMA, Your birds are calcium starved most people seem to think that just grit is required.There in fact are two types of grit oyster shell grit (calcuim) and granite grit(teeth). So whats the difference? granite grit serve as the teeth and remaine in the crop to grind up the food grain, while oyster shell is quickly ground up by the granite grit and passed into the digestive system for the calcium and any other minerals that it may contain. I supply my birds with both types in the same container I change it every other day. You most find out how much your birds clean up in a day and that is what you feed them every day or every other day. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I noticed that one, too, in my loft. My combo grit contains both grit, oyster shells, and other minerals, but they clean the oyster shells first leaving the granite alone. I think they are crazy now because they are breeding. They need all the calcium they can get. The pellets I give them contains high calcium, but still like to eat oyster shells.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always give them a fresh batch of pigeon grit... its a mix of oyster shells, granites and other minerals. It's sort of reddish in color. The only time they don't get it is when I'm medicating. They slowed down the consumption of the oyster shell now. I'm thinking it was just something new to them.... :) Hopefully this week the supply store will have more of the pigeon grit mix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.