Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently adopted a street pigeon named Campagne Pancake Raspberry. He's got a broken wing and is recovering. He's going to have his bandage off soon and so I went to the hardware store to find wood scraps to build perches from so he can slowly ladder himself up closer to the man he was. I bought silver paint and have polyeurathane satin coat which I used on the scraps. They look neat and house pigeon photos at the moment as he wants mostly rest. Things will be different mid week. The polyeurathane satin finish is non threatening to me but the silver paint sort of rubs against my skin and can brush off and I'm worried about it being absorbed into his feet. Please let me know if this is toxic I can always revise. There's no fumes I know that this is dangerous to them and painted outside my apartment. I'll add more of the same with ramps and crawl boxes and start building mid wall tube cages but will definitely need the wood sealed for constant indoor droppings. I just want to know what's safest probably water based is OK recommendations I like sick pigeons and know there will be a few in here. Ty, Robin

Attachments

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
who wrapped that wing? That looks like it needs to be re-done properly asap. Which bone was broken?
Pigeons don't like dowel perches. They need flat platforms. 2x2 or 2x4s work well.
Paints need to be chosen very carefully. MY loft is bare wood so I am not the one to answer that one, but I know I've seen people paint the inside of their lofts so there are options out there. someone will come along with info about that one.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Does he always hold the wing down like that?
I wouldn't paint the perches. Most don't. You will still have to scrape them, and will scrape the paint off. Also will make them more slippery. Plain wood is really better for the bird. Just use a paint scraper to clean them. Easy. You don't know how well he will be able to use the wing, so may not get up to perches, unless just a few inches high.
I used a latex exterior paint for my boxes, but not the perches.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh OK.. So those dowels and the perches...

So those dowels came with the cage. They're lined up in 2s because that was all I could afford. He has flat rocks in his cage that he likes to stand on. He actually sits on the perch dowels only now and then but seems to enjoy them. Right now he's sitting in a corner staring at cardboard and is the weirdest pigeon I've ever seen. These hoppy flat wood perches I attached to the wall are meant to be a climb ladder. He's got to grow the wings back on that saggy wing before he starts. I've got him an appointment on weds and was just about to attempt rewrap but I screw it up each time and there's necrotic tissue peeling off underneath that needs to be scraped and new tissue is forming underneath. The metacarpal bones were broken. He's healing and has been at the vet now 5-6 times. I'm worried about wrapping a featherless wing with scabs as the rest of the feathers will fall out as soon as I start rinsing his skin and I've got no idea how to pick scabs. It's a hard break. I'll try again in a few hrs. Just trued to rewrap his good wing and it came out positioned OK the second time. There is callousing at both breaks per xray 2 weeks ago. I got want the broken bone disrupted

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I think you should let the vet wrap it. To make a flat perch, all you have to do is space the round perches further apart, and wire a board, (the same length as the perches),on top of them. A piece of board that size would be cheap, and you could probably find one some place.

Those 2 lower perches on the wall look to close to each other to give him room to jump from one to the other, but the second one up is too high for him to get to if he can't use his wings.
Why do you want to pick scabs? You shouldn't do that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Change in wing

who wrapped that wing? That looks like it needs to be re-done properly asap. Which bone was broken?
Pigeons don't like dowel perches. They need flat platforms. 2x2 or 2x4s work well.
Paints need to be chosen very carefully. MY loft is bare wood so I am not the one to answer that one, but I know I've seen people paint the inside of their lofts so there are options out there. someone will come along with info about that one.
Oh... I just rewrapped the wing. I can try again in an hour. I'd like to get it higher. It looks amazing compared to how it used to... I don't know if he'll fly again well. It isn't hanging to the ground as it was before...

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
BuyOK he will be rewrapped again in a day and a half by the vet. I don't think he'll need much adjusting again tonight. The healing looks OK. Necrotic flesh dried gone. I rewrapped it but it doesn't go up in the air... It drops again. I'd like to see him fully fly again. He's been through hell on earth. I said or meant that I don't feel like picking scabs and have clotisol but am not prepared to use it. I checked. His main scabs are gone. The wing is MUCH healthier than a MONTH ago. I want him on the street again swooping and feel like such a jerk.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
A month ago???? why is he just now going to a vet? A month later, those bones are healed in how ever you had them wrapped. He will never fly. Barely even flutter with that. He will need to find a home for life.
do not ever pick scabs off.
That was not a metacarpus break. that's a coracoid or humeral break possibly several others how far thats hanging down. Was he grabbed by a dog? the wing looks absolutely shredded.
Don't wrap it unless it's really dragging and catching on things. let the vet take care of ..what ever they can possibly do at this point. Bad wrapping will only cause him pain and stress. I assume he was not on any antibiotics or pain management?

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Beautiful bird. Thank you for rescuing him.hope the vet can further improve his wing. Agree with others about not using paint if you can avoid it.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
PomboLover, am sorry you are having a hard time. I appreciate all that you have done for the poor bird and am hoping someone in your area will step up and want to adopt him. We spent tons on our rescued bird with a broken wing but did not regret it. Hope things improve for you. Yes, our animals eat better than we do and our place us a mess but we have chosen this. Wish I lived closer and could help,you. Your bird is lovely and would be a great pet. Our pigeons are not releasable but they are happy not caged prisoners. Is there something we can do to help? Don't know about paint which is why you posted. Hope you have a happier holiday season. And I'm glad you rescued the bird who is beautiful. Please also take good care of yourself.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
my post you deleted of me asking if there was a rehabber near by that could help the finder out was not raving....
Response was uncalled for and not understood.
TRying to help the bird. my only priority. Honest about it's injuries and that it will never fly was nothing but the truth after a month of it in that position.
I state again. Can we try to get a local to help out so the finder is not overwhelmed as it appears.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
True. Removed simply because it was in among posts being deleted, and also in part referred back to the actual raving. Had to think about that awhile first. Unfortunately, removing several posts together only allows one comment.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My bird is rebandaged. I can't make birds fly again this hobby makes me morbidly depr

I am no doctor and did a good service rescuing a pigeon that bites and apparently deserves to be handled like he's Jesus
He'll be back at the vet tomorrow for another checkup. Sorry, couldn't make it today my brain was all clogged with sleeping pills that I barfed all night from stalking religious shaming and bullying. He will be fine. He's a lot better off than before and could care less if you'd like to contact my vet in regards to his care its stretching much too far to ask this much of me for wild birds. I'm not allowed to pay attention to them anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can get "child-safe" paint at the hardware store, specially made for children's furniture. That's what I use in my coop. I routinely sand, rather than paint perches. I use firring strips to make perches for small birds.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can get "child-safe" paint at the hardware store, specially made for children's furniture. That's what I use in my coop. I routinely sand, rather than paint perches. I use firring strips to make perches for small birds.
Thank you I didn't think of that. Anyway stinky ChickPeas the baby is enjoying a perch this moment. I guess she has Canker, she's small adorable and here to fatten up. Found her this wkend. She's on metro. Will leave in a few weeks.

I'll Google childsafe paint in Seattle. That's a wonderful idea. The Ace HW that I went to only had this one. I'm thinking the poly clear cote is safe.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PomboLover, am sorry you are having a hard time. I appreciate all that you have done for the poor bird and am hoping someone in your area will step up and want to adopt him. We spent tons on our rescued bird with a broken wing but did not regret it. Hope things improve for you. Yes, our animals eat better than we do and our place us a mess but we have chosen this. Wish I lived closer and could help,you. Your bird is lovely and would be a great pet. Our pigeons are not releasable but they are happy not caged prisoners. Is there something we can do to help? Don't know about paint which is why you posted. Hope you have a happier holiday season. And I'm glad you rescued the bird who is beautiful. Please also take good care of yourself.
Another woman originally offered to adopt Pancake. Really, I don't want him. I'm going to start to check on sanctuaries here in Seattle. He's funny and well behaved. He grunts a lot, bites, stays in his own space is handtame but he stresses me out a lot and I'd like him taken fro. Me as soon as possible. Last bill of health check is tomorrow. His Metacarpal fractures were both healing on re xray 2 weeks ago. He may be able to fly some but not enough to escape predators. I was almost considering putting him back at the restaurant where I found him once completely healed but I guess he deserves respect in a home sanctuary. I don't want the bird at all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ChickPeas on the ladder climb

She's a fur coat! Qt! My fledge canker rescue enjoys flying thru the apt and liked the stoop. She's actually a model... So it seems! I decided she's a grl. Her name is ChickPeas

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Healing

Omg! The wing is in a natural position after last week. I rewrapped it tight. No sagging. See the amazing difference a week made... Necrotic flesh fell off in my hand in the Zinn. New flesh underneath coming in. This bird is a trooper and my fledge rescue WILL NOT LEAVE his SIDE squeaking outside his cage all day saying "I live you. "

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts