Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Make sure it is completly dry, this may depend on your weather. If you used flat latex it is the best for lofts, it dries faster than simi gloss or gloss. Latex doesn't hold the paint smell as long as the others. I would wait until the smell is mostly gone, make sure your loft is open to good ventilation, 3 to 5 days should be ok.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Any kind of good latex paint would work well. Exterior holds up better than interior, and I wouldn't use a flat paint, as you really can't wash it. Use a satin or semi-gloss, unless you don't intend to ever wash. Sometimes some places need it.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
If you use exterior, you will need to wait much longer before introducing birds since this paint typically contains toxic chemicals to prevent mold and mildew - very bad for birds to breathe! Gloss or semi-gloss interior paint would still be washable. There are no standards for "gloss" or "semi-gloss" so check paint chips for different manufacturers to compare. We've always had very good results using Glidden, and their paint tends to have low VOC (volatile organic compounds which produce strong odors).

What I've done is to paint a loose chunk of wood when I paint the coop and use that to check odors. Have it next to you for several hours while you are on the computer or watching TV. Remember that your birds are going to be exposed to the fumes in a confined space overnight and they have more sensitive respiratory systems!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you use exterior, you will need to wait much longer before introducing birds since this paint typically contains toxic chemicals to prevent mold and mildew - very bad for birds to breathe! Gloss or semi-gloss interior paint would still be washable. There are no standards for "gloss" or "semi-gloss" so check paint chips for different manufacturers to compare. We've always had very good results using Glidden, and their paint tends to have low VOC (volatile organic compounds which produce strong odors).

What I've done is to paint a loose chunk of wood when I paint the coop and use that to check odors. Have it next to you for several hours while you are on the computer or watching TV. Remember that your birds are going to be exposed to the fumes in a confined space overnight and they have more sensitive respiratory systems!

The exterior LATEX really doesn't have that much more odor than the interior. You don't actually have to wait longer, and it will hold up better. If you air it out for a few days after drying, which only takes hours, it would be fine. Interior just doesn't hold up as well to scrubbing. And poop doesn't always come off all that easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts