Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a grizzle pair that has had two youngsters hatch out, and they were feeding their young very nicely for the first, three days of the youngsters life, but unfortunately the young are having less and less food in their crop these two pass days. The pair is an old 2007 hen, and a young 2010 cock. The youngsters currently are about a week old, but I'm afraid they might not get enough food to grow. what do you guys suggest I should do? Are the parents just running out of milk??? I provide more than plenty enough food for them. The mother is always on the young and hardly allows for her mate to sit on them. Should I monitor them just in case, or do they know what their doing? Every one seems healthy, but they just seem to not eat as much also.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Are there any certain grains that I would be able to feed the pair to produce more pigeon milk? Pellets are okay but they seem to get really bored of eating pellets. I do mix grains with my pellets but what grains would promote them to make more pigeon milk?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
My guess is that they are ok. Usually the prob is that one baby gets fed and the other doesn't. You can always supplement them with hand feeding Kaytee Exact formula. Just take one at a time and feed it, then put it back. Maybe two or three times a day. I've done this many times and the young are some of the biggest birds in my loft!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advice;) I'm not sure now, today they seemed to feed the babies fine. I think the parents must just feed the babies whenever they feel that they are hungry, and I think I may just be overly examining the young.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts