Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that it is not good to let a pair breed for so many years? I mean you bred them a couple of times per year and you continue breeding them without crossing them to other breeders.. Any idea about this??? THANKS

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I think what they are doing is trying to find some pairing that improves their chances of having good birds. They may also practice line breeding where the son is back-mated with their mother and the daughter back mated with their father. Some also change pairing where they want a younger mate to an older mate. I think all of these practices are to get some birds that are better than the current pairing that they have. Obviously if you got a good breeding pair that consistently breeds good birds, then you don't have to change their pairing.

Now if you are talking about indbreeding in so many years where the descendants are mated with each other, then it seems to be true that the performance of the family might go down. Crossing them with other birds might reverse the trend or even improves on it. There is also the case that crossing them might do the opposite.

Now there is this observation that younger pairs seem to give better birds than older pairs. I suppose old age has the effect of having less good children.

·
Registered
499 Posts
pigeon behavior

Is it true that it is not good to let a pair breed for so many years? I mean you bred them a couple of times per year and you continue breeding them without crossing them to other breeders.. Any idea about this??? THANKS
though pigeons are primarily monogamous,they will mate very frequently,i am not sure what you have in mind but i could not follow your advice-could you??,sincerely james waller

·
Registered
499 Posts
in breeding

I think what they are doing is trying to find some pairing that improves their chances of having good birds. They may also practice line breeding where the son is back-mated with their mother and the daughter back mated with their father. Some also change pairing where they want a younger mate to an older mate. I think all of these practices are to get some birds that are better than the current pairing that they have. Obviously if you got a good breeding pair that consistently breeds good birds, then you don't have to change their pairing.

Now if you are talking about indbreeding in so many years where the descendants are mated with each other, then it seems to be true that the performance of the family might go down. Crossing them with other birds might reverse the trend or even improves on it. There is also the case that crossing them might do the opposite.

Now there is this observation that younger pairs seem to give better birds than older pairs. I suppose old age has the effect of having less good children.
oh come on,.inbreeding has been done in great britian for centuries,how do you think they got prince charles,..rrr,sincerely james waller

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
In racing some people believe that keeping pairs together and never breaking them will slowly decrease the amount of good birds they produce. I don't know if this is true but alot of people believe it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
though pigeons are primarily monogamous,they will mate very frequently,i am not sure what you have in mind but i could not follow your advice-could you??,sincerely james waller
FYI I'm not asking you to follow any advise, I'm just asking for ideas and opinions..

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
LOL! James that was funny! I am assuming it to be sarcasm about the prince thing.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Racers swap breeders looking for the next winner. But I have whites so because I am breeding for color, when I have pairs that give me white babies I let them stay together. Now I do use dummy eggs to give the pair a break and if one of the pair is lost then the other will find a new mate. As for your question, it is not true only a choice.

God Bless,
Tony

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Two words: "Golden Couple" like Karel Meuleman's Van Der Bosch cock and Janssen hen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts