Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn’t really sure how else to describe it-I’ve combed through these forums and the closest I can come to a similar situation is a person whose lone pigeon was making what was apparently a mating call-posters responded that he was probably lonely. :( I don’t think my pidges should be lonely! I haven’t had them sexed, but they fit the traditional physical and behavioral characteristics of a male/female pairing and get very stressed when they are separated, so I assume they are now mates. No egg sightings after four months together however, I might add. But really it’s nearly constant. All day from the time they wake up it’s pidgey “brooo broooo” time. Do they just like making noise? If there is an issue, what could it be?

·
Registered
69 Posts
pretty sure that's normal, although, It could be that they are bored or annoyed. My pigeons always make that noise but they do it more if they are being territorial.

A way I learned how to tell if 2 birds are a pair is leave an egg in their nest box (preferably with at least one bird inside) doesn't matter if it's a chicken or pigeon egg. In my experience, if they're a pair, they usually start incubating the egg. If they aren't, they tend to leave the egg. If they start incubating, then they're definitely a pair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wasn’t really sure how else to describe it-I’ve combed through these forums and the closest I can come to a similar situation is a person whose lone pigeon was making what was apparently a mating call-posters responded that he was probably lonely. :( I don’t think my pidges should be lonely! I haven’t had them sexed, but they fit the traditional physical and behavioral characteristics of a male/female pairing and get very stressed when they are separated, so I assume they are now mates. No egg sightings after four months together however, I might add. But really it’s nearly constant. All day from the time they wake up it’s pidgey “brooo broooo” time. Do they just like making noise? If there is an issue, what could it be?
Its the cock who makes that single Broo Broo sound sequence in 2 scenarios

A. Calling his mate if she is not around or into the nest to lay eggs (The female rarely make this call and sounds much fainter than the males)
B. Feeding call for his chicks

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have a couple hens that call like that too, but they also strut around the loft like a cock bird too. As for your egg sighting, we had a couple birds paired for 6 months or more and just got their first egg this week. Some of them just take time to get comfortable or old enough to breed. I found a table on one of the forums that even 2 hens that pair up will give you eggs, they just obviously won't be fertile. Any chance you have 2 boys? Wish you luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts