Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a breeding pair that has laid their first eggs but they don't seem to be sitting on them full time. Sometimes they'll go an hour or so without being on the eggs. I was under the impression a bird would always be on the eggs, is this normal? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
How old are they?

They are better at being parents if they are around a year old. They may be physically mature enough but some are emotionally immature until they are around a year old.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they're about a 8 months apiece, it is their first brood so i imagine they're probably a bit immature. I suppose there's nothing to do but keep letting them try, or would it be prudent to use foster parents?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
they're about a 8 months apiece, it is their first brood so i imagine they're probably a bit immature. I suppose there's nothing to do but keep letting them try, or would it be prudent to use foster parents?
If the babies from this pair are important to you and you have some fosters, then yes. If not, just let this pair do whatever they're going to do........not much you can do anyway to MAKE them sit on the eggs.......:rolleyes:
Then let them try again. They'll get it right eventually.
If you DO foster out the eggs, I would give this pair some dummies for a few days just to watch and observe what they're going to do. If they eventually decide to sit, then take the dummies and let them start over. If after another few days, they are NOT sitting, then still take the dummies and let them try again. 8 months is a bit young, but not SO bad.........

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I would just let them continue to practice with these eggs, because if they are not incubating the eggs from time to time they may not even hatch. You can candle them at 5 days incubation and see if they are even fertile, they may not be. Don't throw them out, let them practice, until they are ready to give them up. They may get serious at the brooding now or later.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I had the same experience with my new young breeders! I got so over worried because I felt like they are neglecting their duties, but in the end they hatched! Now, I felt stupid. They probably know something that I don't. LOL! I noticed that on hot days, they can just lax off. I suppose they don't want to "overheat" the eggs. If they do abandon it during cold weather, then that is the time you can over worry. My young breeders were less than one year old as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 7 pigeons who are 8 months old also. One pair is doing exactly the same, to make things worse, that same pair is also laying infertile eggs. Well, I will wait a year and if things go bad, there is always roast pigeon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.