Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I live in London, I have a shelf I built above my balcony for storing gardening equipment, a few days ago i noticed a nest and now we have a very happy pair of pigeons nesting there. I put up a webcam and have been streaming for anyone interested, quite fascinating! They are such good parents! The second egg was layed two days ago and now they take turns sitting, usually every 6-8 hours they have a shift change... Anyway the link to the live stream 'PigeonFeedLive' ;) Is http://www.livestream.com/pigeonsfeedlive

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im guessing any attempt at training/taming the parents/chicks will be pretty pointless.. I have a dog and a cat and am not really set up for keeping them. :(

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Nice! I will check it out later on my PC.
Yes training the parents would be useless. However the young you could.
Generally the hens sit on the eggs from 5ish pm to around 10 am then the cocks. Both parentes feed the young however the cock takes control after a several days.
Hope your enjoy them! If all goes well they will drop a second clutch when these little unhatch ones your have are about 2 weeks old!
If you wish to view them more and give the young a better chance water and feed them. At least water..(assuming your not)

Welcome to the forum as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, Thanks!

Yes Iv'e been told to put some water out but I dont want to scare them off the eggs! And they literally swap over one after the other so I havent had a chance since the second egg was layed!

Im really enjoying watching them, better than TV! :)

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for posting the webcam link. I'm happy you have allowed them to take up residence and are enjoying this couple and their soon to be hatchlings. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No probs, I seem to have a few regular viewers, apologies for the advert when you first log on but it's a free streaming service.

I guess it's like watching paint dry for all you guys! Haha..

You think theyll keep coming back now theyve found this? Thing is weve had to move the cat bowl and the balcony is out of bounds at the moment as dont want to scare them off the eggs, not sure we could live with it fulltime, unless they got used to us..

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
No probs, I seem to have a few regular viewers, apologies for the advert when you first log on but it's a free streaming service.

I guess it's like watching paint dry for all you guys! Haha..

You think theyll keep coming back now theyve found this? Thing is weve had to move the cat bowl and the balcony is out of bounds at the moment as dont want to scare them off the eggs, not sure we could live with it fulltime, unless they got used to us..
They will stay around if you continue to make it pigeon friendly, but they can be messy tenants.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well yes, that's gonna be the problem. They're above our washing line and the cat bowl and litter tray. They don't seem to be bothered by the cat, mind you she's 12 and isn't bothered anyway!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
That's brilliant, Thanks for posting the stream link.

It may be something we know about but I never get fed up of watching them rearing their babies. :)
I love the way they've fitted the nest into the coiled pipe. Just shows you never know who's got their eye on your property!

I hope we see a successful rearing, at least they've got you watching out for them but hopefully they won't need any intervention.

Janet

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, its perfect for a nest! Theyve padded it out with a load of plastic cable ties from a neighbours garden. They seem very attentive and responsible, theres been one or the other there non stop for the last 48 hours, changing over every couple of hours. They mate for life don't they? Seems like theyve done it before, I like how they coo at eachother and preen eachothers necks as a sort of 'im back, your turn to go eat' haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts