Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When pairing your breeders do you try to match a distance bird with a distance bird? A sprint with a sprint? Do your long distance birds have a long forarm, long breast (ends close to the vent bones), fat primaries, stiff feathers, bigger pigeon, alot of backwing, deeper keeled. How are your distance birds built? Tell me some of their caractoristics.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
When pairing your breeders do you try to match a distance bird with a distance bird? A sprint with a sprint? Do your long distance birds have a long forarm, long breast (ends close to the vent bones), fat primaries, stiff feathers, bigger pigeon, alot of backwing, deeper keeled. How are your distance birds built? Tell me some of their caractoristics.
Yes
Yes

What is "alot of backwing?"........guess I don't use that one. :)
I've got two types of birds and both of won the combine 500 mile race before. One hen is HUGE........everyone always thinks she's a cock when I ship her...all the birds from that family are big/large birds,,cocks AND hens. The other one was Skydancer, who is a tiny bird. Her father is the size of a small/med hen. All of those birds are on the small side. Both birds have won races from 166 miles to 500 miles.
Maybe I go about it the wrong way.....but I use the pedigrees.......if I have them and I go by what birds I think seem to go together. I don't look at eye color.......I don't even know what color eyes most of my birds have.........I actually don't use anything specific except whether I "like" them together or not and I can't explain WHY I do or do not like certain birds together. I'm just weird I guess. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I remember reading a few times what some of the All American guys do...We all know that these guys have great pigeons to start with..So,what some of them do is put a cock in a nestbox...Then they put a hen in with him...They look for a "Match",a word that I`m using here for these examples...Then they try another hen,and so forth...After the 3 or 4 hens have been looked at with the cock,they pick the hen that goes best with him...Ofcourse,the 3 or 4 hens have been picked out for this cock for various reasons..Could be a daughter,grand-daughter,sister or just a cross...I idea is to get a look-alike hen so to speak to the cock...I do have a few matings like this,but I also have a couple that are not look alikes..These are mainly birds brought in for a try.....Alamo

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I remember reading a few times what some of the All American guys do...We all know that these guys have great pigeons to start with..So,what some of them do is put a cock in a nestbox...Then they put a hen in with him...They look for a "Match",a word that I`m using here for these examples...Then they try another hen,and so forth...After the 3 or 4 hens have been looked at with the cock,they pick the hen that goes best with him...Ofcourse,the 3 or 4 hens have been picked out for this cock for various reasons..Could be a daughter,grand-daughter,sister or just a cross...I idea is to get a look-alike hen so to speak to the cock...I do have a few matings like this,but I also have a couple that are not look alikes..These are mainly birds brought in for a try.....Alamo

I have heard this before and I am trying it with a few this year. I am trying different stuff, then switching the pairs between rounds. I should see what I got this year, hopfully. Lol

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
The Jannsen brothers said that if you mate big bird with another big bird you get chicken. LOL!

I'll breed sprint to sprint, long distance to long distance. Obviously you can try different combinations and test them in the basket. I've read some fanciers saying that certain families don't do well together when breed, but they don't mention which family or strain.

I believe learning's philosophy is that he/she doesn't care what pigeon looks like as long as it wins. I'll go for that.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The Jannsen brothers said that if you mate big bird with another big bird you get chicken. LOL!

I'll breed sprint to sprint, long distance to long distance. Obviously you can try different combinations and test them in the basket. I've read some fanciers saying that certain families don't do well together when breed, but they don't mention which family or strain.

I believe learning's philosophy is that he/she doesn't care what pigeon looks like as long as it wins. I'll go for that.
I never said that I didn't care what they looked like! After all, I don't want to be cleaning the poop from and looking at a loft full of ugly donkeys all year long! I just don't rely on their looks to determine their performance quality. Looks are a personal preference. One of the reasons I selected Warren Smith's birds to certer my loft around was because I think they are some of the most gorgeous racing pigeons I have ever seen.

That, however, is not the reason I expect to do well with them competatively. Those reasons center around the fact that they have done extremely well as young birds in the middle distance one loft events, which is where I would like to be in a few years, and that they were highly inbred which increases their chances of passing allong those traits to their young.

Hope this made some sense.

...and by the way, I am a he, not a she!

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.