Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm very new to this and need advice on pairing up birds I understand the locking them
In together for 10-14days but what about exercise is this a no no? And feeding as well if someone can point me in the direction of a detailed thread or post a good description would be really helpful.

Thanks again

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean. You want to pai up a male and female? Make sure first they are opposite sexs, two males might fight. I alos had females fight and I also had males beating up females.
I would put them in separate cages but where they are able to see each other and after a few days you can let them out together.
Pigeon supply websites and feed stores have pigeon specific food. You can order it online.
They also need grit, you can find some good ones at Foy's.

Reti

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Reti is right in that by just locking them in together, where the female cannot get away, some males have been very aggressive and injured the female. Better to introduce them slowly like she mentioned.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I understand that but even if I put them in separate cages what sort of time period do I leave them in the cages? And what about letting them out for exercise? Do I also feed then in the cages?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Put them in separate cages where they can see each other. You camn let them out to exercise one at a time, not together at the same time in the beginning. From their behaviour you will see if there is any aggressiveness involved. After a few days, 3-4 you can let them out at the same time, watch them to make sure there are no fights.
If all goes well and they seem to get along well, leave the cages open and they will settle into one cage. It should take about a week or less if they're meant to be soulmates.

Reti

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, you can feed them in the cages. You will know when they are interested in each other. The male will be trying to get to her, and she will be showing interest and trying to get to him. When you let them out together watch, as was already mentioned, for any signs of aggression.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
how many birds do you have in the first place? and do you have equal numbers of hen for males?if you want to pair them up yourself, like said you need to put them in sepreate cages next to each other, if not let the birds pair up on their own free will.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hi I'm very new to this and need advice on pairing up birds I understand the locking them
In together for 10-14days but what about exercise is this a no no? And feeding as well if someone can point me in the direction of a detailed thread or post a good description would be really helpful.

Thanks again

this depends on you're set up, are they in a cage? a nest box? are there other birds in the same section as these? there needs to be more information.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 24 all in all 18 prisoner birds I got from a guy who was giving up racing so I want to breed off them. He only gave me 1:1 so yes have an equal amount and lucky enough with my whites I have an equal number too. But I'd like to pair the whites with my grey birds as my whites seem bigger in stature and I'd just like to maybe try breed a few racers like that? They will be in best boxes about 2foot across and about 1foot high with nest fronts on? If that makes sense??

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I have 24 all in all 18 prisoner birds I got from a guy who was giving up racing so I want to breed off them. He only gave me 1:1 so yes have an equal amount and lucky enough with my whites I have an equal number too. But I'd like to pair the whites with my grey birds as my whites seem bigger in stature and I'd just like to maybe try breed a few racers like that? They will be in best boxes about 2foot across and about 1foot high with nest fronts on? If that makes sense??
are all these birds already paired? you can break pairs, but then they can not see their old mate if you are trying to pair them with the new birds. I would seperate them hens in one section and cocks in another..then decide which ones you want together and try to pair only a few couples..say like 3 pairs.. put the birds in a breeding section where the nest boxes are and only them.. they should pair up on thier own if their old mate is not avalible to them..it may take awhile., but that is ok as the birds are molting this time of year so you may want to pair them up this fall..wait till they are nesting and let them hatch eggs this winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts