Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
first and foremost, I have a pair of pigeons, a father and his daughter which is maybe 4 months old, I don't know precisely yesterday I saw the cock chasing and cooing to her, that never happened before. then they began the courtship.the Problem is that the hen is not yet mature. and she Didn't know what to do when the cock mounted on her. anyway After the second try they did it correctly
the Question is Do I let it happen or shall I separate them?
Any advice would be very useful

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you won't know it is a hen untill she lays egg/s. father can be bred back to daughter if there is a good reason. where is the fathers hen? I suppose if she(daughter) wants to pick him then their pairing up is really not a problem. what breed of pigeons?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey, the father hen Died due to an accident :(
it was so hard for the father cock to find a mate since he was so attached to his old mate, now he paired up with his daughter and I'm sure that she is a SHE, If as you said is not a problem then it's a relief because I though somehow that this is a harassment for the young immature hen.
and btw the father is a pouter-homer mix and the daughter is a pure homer
pouters are very common in this area :)
thanks

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you can not know it is a hen, cocks will court and mate young birds just because, time will tell with the eggs if it is a hen, reguardless two cocks will and can pair up, there just won't be any eggs in their nest.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you can not know it is a hen, cocks will court and mate young birds just because, time will tell with the eggs if it is a hen, reguardless two cocks will and can pair up, there just won't be any eggs in their nest.
Yes, you are right but I watched her over the past months since she was a squaker, her voice seems feminine and the two bones seem far from each other,kinda soft , and not spired as I feel when It's a male.
thank you for the input anyway

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
and in case she is a male there is 2 other mature hens so why bother pairing up with a male.??
young birds are always being courted by my adult cock birds reguardless of what sex the young ones actually end up being. they are young so they act not imposing which hens sometimes act like. that is just a guess. people always seem so sure of what they think a young bird is, you have a 50% chance of being right. a member just got some dna results back on some of his birds and was surprized on the results. eggs tell the tale for sure that is all Iam saying.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Sexual maturity doesn't necessarily comes with age. Like some squabs wean early than others. And hens mature early than cocks.
I agree with SpiritWings, there's a 50-50 chance. She maybe a she or he... U can't be so sure.
Not once but many times it happened in my loft that cocks got paired up with younger cocks inspite of lone young hens available.
Or
Its weird way of teaching. Father is teaching her how to court.
Or
They are already familiar to eachother so the father chose her instead of other hens

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
young birds are always being courted by my adult cock birds reguardless of what sex the young ones actually end up being. they are young so they act not imposing which hens sometimes act like. that is just a guess. people always seem so sure of what they think a young bird is, you have a 50% chance of being right. a member just got some dna results back on some of his birds and was surprised on the results. eggs tell the tale for sure that is all Iam saying.
Thank you for your reply, I have experience with pigeons since I was little but of course there is always someone more experienced than you.In this case, you're right I'll wait eggs and we'll see
Sexual maturity doesn't necessarily comes with age. Like some squabs wean early than others. And hens mature early than cocks.
I agree with SpiritWings, there's a 50-50 chance. She maybe a she or he... U can't be so sure.
Not once but many times it happened in my loft that cocks got paired up with younger cocks inspite of lone young hens available.
Or
Its weird way of teaching. Father is teaching her how to court.
Or
They are already familiar to each other so the father chose her instead of other hens
YES they are familiar with each other.if I figure out that it's male I'll terminate this relationship Immediately
I don't want illegal relations within my loft LOL just kidding , I just want my pigeons to raise their offspring before the winter comes, IME only 20% of the babies will make it in the cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.