Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how long do your birds take to pair up?

Mine have had lights of for a week and all my old (last year) pairs seamed to get cozy quick I've had them split for a while now maybe 5 months .... Would they remember that quick or they ready ha ha

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
In my loft, it takes only 15-30 mins for a hen and cock to get attracted towards each other when both are really h*rny and desperate especially when living alone for a while.
When they themselves select/choose each other,then if hen gives in and cock mounts her then they get together on the same day. Once a cock gets the taste of it he won't let the hen to stray away and when cock coos in the pen, hen runs to him. In 1-2-3 days, they get paired.
If they develop liking for each other and don't hurt/fight eachother then they MAYBE safely locked in breeding cages/pens so that the pair gets stronger and its that cock only who seals the deal.

(But I had some high flyer cocks in the past whom had taste for specific colored ladies. One of my cock never paired with any type/sort of colored hen. He always loved white hens. He would mount many but give his heart only to a pure white beauty. While I had a cock who loved only black grizzles never pure white,rec/red or blue bars. In more than 2 decades I only come across about 4-5 such high cocks. I never faced this problem with homers though)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah I always throw them both in the box let them get the mojo flowing then divide the box so the cock can come and go but the hen is locked in for a week or so ...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts